Viewing GeoTIFF files

How do I...?
bobr

Viewing GeoTIFF files

Post by bobr »

Is it still possible to display GeoTIFF files in McIDAS-V? I found the following tutorial "Manipulating GeoTIFFs":

https://geonetcast.files.wordpress.com/ ... otiffs.pdf

This tutorial mentions downloading and installing GNCA_Sep2016.jar. Where should this file be downloaded from?

Thanks!
bobc

Re: Viewing GeoTIFF files

Post by bobc »

Hello -

This plugin jar file wasn't created at the University of Wisconsin, but rather by another group who was using it for training purposes.

However, you can work with GeoTIFF files in McIDAS-V without this plugin. Here are the steps to do it (similar to the tutorial you linked):

1. From the Data Explorer window, navigate to the General>Files/Directories chooser.
  2. At the top of the chooser, use the Data Type dropdown select "TIFF files".
  3. Use the Files panel to navigate to your GeoTIFF file, select it, and click Add Source.

I was actually able to find this plugin file on a FTP site online. Extracting the files from the Jar shows that there are only three files included, none of which have anything to do with actually loading the GeoTIFFs:

1. colortables.xml - Contains the color enhancements listed on Page 7 of the document you linked
  2. derived.xml - Contains the formulas listed on Page 6 of the document you linked
  3. projections.xml - Contains the Americas projection used on Page 6 of the document you linked

I haven't looked too much through the FTP location I linked above, but you may be able to find the actual data files referenced in the tutorial there as well.

If you give your GeoTIFF files a try in McIDAS-V and run into any problems, please let us know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
bobr

Re: Viewing GeoTIFF files

Post by bobr »

Thanks Bob!