continuing issues with 3-D surfaces

How do I...?
kbedka1

continuing issues with 3-D surfaces

Post by kbedka1 »

I have a 3-D volume of radar data that I want to see an isosurface. If I pick a large reflectivity value, I get reasonable looking results, see attached. When I go to a smaller value which should better show the 3-D structure of the entire storm, I get weird looking results. I recall this was a problem in previous Mc-V versions, perhaps especially on Macs, that I think I've commented on in the forum before. Has there been any recent work to address this issue?
Attachments
10dbz.jpg
30dbz.jpg
barryr

Re: continuing issues with 3-D surfaces

Post by barryr »

Hi Kris,
The isosurface rendering seems fine/consistent of 10 dBZ and 30 dBZ on both Windows 7 and macOS 10.12 when displaying a real-time Level II image from the Minneapolis (KMPX) radar today. For example, here's a four-panel display of Volume Scan of 10 dBZ in Panel 1, Radar Isosurface of 10 dBZ in Panel 2, Volume Scan of 30 dBZ in Panel 3, and Radar Isosurface of 30 dBZ in Panel 4:

4_panel_level2_10vs30dBZ.jpg

Can you please provide the file you were using (looks like it's named nexrad_3d_3_1_20060407T184500Z.nc) so we can give it a try here?

Thanks,
Barry
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/nexrad_3d_3_1_20060407T184500Z.nc
barryr

Post by barryr »

Thanks, Kris.

I downloaded and displayed it. It gives exactly the same results on my Windows 7 box as you reported on your Mac. For the record, I loaded it via the General > Files/Directories chooser and selected the 3D Surface > Isosurface in Displays, then rotated it to the South Viewpoint (via the button in the Viewpoint Toolbar).

I'm checking with others here to see if this is a data issue (since yesterday we found that real-time Level II images look fine [or at least consistent] in both the 10 dBZ and 30 dBZ isosurfaces), or if there are things that can be done to improve the appearance of the 10 dBZ isosurface in the file you provided.

Barry