one display label across multiple aggregated displays

How do I...?
kbedka1

one display label across multiple aggregated displays

Post by kbedka1 »

I am visualizing 30 sec GOES-16 data and am loading in a 4 hour animation of data in 1 hour chunks. When I display and animate the data, you see the display label move, first showing the display name and timestep for the first hour, then moves up to the next hour; these moving labels are distracting. Is there a way to display one master label that stays at the bottom of the display window that shows any description I desire, including the timestamp across the 4 hour sequence? I am using the GUI, not scripting
jayh

Re: one display label across multiple aggregated displays

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

I talked with Bob a bit and the best way we can come up with is to use the Merge time sequences formula.

- Load your 4 data sources
- In the Field Selector, choose the Formulas -> Grids -> Time Steps -> Merge time sequences, click Create Display
- Choose the 4 variables you want to display in the field window and after each one click "Add Selected" and click OK.

This should load your data into one layer and have one label with the correct times in the animation stable on the bottom line. Merge time sequences will be added in the label. If you don't care for this, you can edit the layer label by right clicking on the layer name in the Legend. Go to Edit -> Properties and in the Layer label: field change %longname% to something like %datasourcename% to get a more meaningful label.

I have written Inquiry 2547 for evaluation of a better 'layer label or display label' tool to avoid the formula step.

Thanks, Jay
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

This won't work so well because I will have 480 times loaded into one object x 800x800 pixels to display which will bring Mc-V to its knees. Is this the only way? I recall Bob showing me at one point a method where one does Edit -> Display Settings and somehow grouped all the displays into one which then enabled me to only have one label.
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

The Edit -> Display Settings will apply the same attributes to all of the layer labels that you specify. The labels will still move up and down when you animate. It doesn't group them into one label unfortunately.

We were wondering how you are loading the data? Through netCDF files, or from an ADDE server? I did try 460 500x500 mesoscale images from an adde server and it took 46 minutes to create the display. The result was a very nice ~8 hour loop of 1-minute imagery that didn't take much memory resources on the session, but it's certainly less than ideal with the excessive load times.

There is a way to put the timestamp in the bottom right corner in your display. From the Main Display window menu you can select View -> Show -> Times in View. You could remove the layer labels and just have the time in the bottom right corner.

There could be possible options in scripting with some annotate options there too.

I believe these are the options that are currently in the software.

Thanks, Jay