Individual Side Controls on 3-4 Panel Displays

How do I...?
stormchasing101

Individual Side Controls on 3-4 Panel Displays

Post by stormchasing101 »

Hi,

I was working with some multi panel displays today. On 2 Panel Displays, on the left side there is the standard sidebar of controls on each pane. However on 3 or 4 panel displays I can not get there to be the sidebar for each pane. What is even more frustrating for me is that I have seen bundles with the left side controls for the zoom and viewpoint controls for every pane. Even I did it once a couple of years back, but I have long forgotten how I had done it. Thanks for your time.

--Carl
Attachments
3 panel Display Current Problem (No Individual Toolbars On Left).PNG
3 Panel Display from Bundle with Individual Viewpoint Toolbars.PNG
bobc

Re: Individual Side Controls on 3-4 Panel Displays

Post by bobc »

Hi Carl -

I'm replicating your top image, where you only have the viewpoint/navigation/undo-redo toolbars in the left panel of a 3-panel display. A little while back, I wrote up Inquiry 2488 to add the ability to individually set the visibility of these toolbars in each panel through the View menu, but this has yet to be addressed. I've added a note to the inquiry to contact you when this gets added to McIDAS-V, but I can't make any promises on when this will get done.

Looking at the current code, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how your second image, where you have the toolbars in all three panels, was created. It is possible that things changed at some point down the line where all panels used to have these toolbars and now they don't. I did, however, write up a plugin that will allow for creating 3 and 4-panel map displays (in a new tab only, not a new window) where all of the panels will include the navigation toolbars. I haven't done a ton of testing (and I've only tested this on Windows 7), but it looks promising. If you install the attached plugin (Tools>Plugins>Manage) and restart McIDAS-V, you should see new menu items under File>New Display Tab>Map Display of "Three Panels with Toolbars" and "Four Panels with Toolbars". One thing to note is that if you create a bundle with one of the new panel configurations and pass it on to another user, you will need to make sure that they have the plugin installed as well.
three_four_panels_with_toolbars.jar
Plugin
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

If you give this plugin a try and run into any problems please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
stormchasing101

Re: Individual Side Controls on 3-4 Panel Displays

Post by stormchasing101 »

Hi Bobc,

Thanks for the help this is exactly what I needed. Great work :D

--Carl