Very curious problem on Windows 10, central map very slow

How do I...?
francoisborel

Very curious problem on Windows 10, central map very slow

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning eveyone,

My english is very poor. Here is my problem.

I run now on Windows 10 (after a failure) and i have installed McIdas 1.6 64. Here is my configuration.
Windows 10 Familiale
Pentium 2,16 Ghz
4 Go RAM
DD 500

All is okey, but not for only the central zone with the map. All action in this area is very very slow, but all others actions are correct.
See attached file example.jpg..

When i connect to the local server, all is okay. The load of the files in the Data Explorer (tab Data Source) is Okay and quick. The
click on the Add Source button (to access to the Field Selector tab) is okay. And the load in the application for display the pictures is okay.

BUT :
When i want to use the map control, or to display picture after picture, the application take about 5 secondes for any reaction. If i click on the "Translate left" or "Translate right" for example, the map will take 5 seconds before move by on step.

When the i click on next picture in the Time animation toolbar, i have the same problem. The next picture take about 5 seconds to be displayed.

All the slow observation is when i change the display of this central dark area..

Could you help me ? Perhaps there is a parameter to change ?

I have try several things, disable antivirus, réinstall McIdas, etc ... No way..

Important thing : three or four times, the application take a correct run itself. The display was very slow, and suddenly, all is okay. All the pictures are animated correctly. But after several load, the problem return.

Thank you for all you will can do for me :-) ..

Best regards..
françois
Attachments
example.jpg
Last edited by francoisborel on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francoisborel

Re: Very curious problem on Windows 10, only on the central map

Post by francoisborel »

Another interesting thing :

When i open McIdas, without any load, any server connection, and i try to display some differents projections, i have the problem.
For example, i display Europa projection and choose North America, this map will take about 5 seconds to be displayed, with any data...

Another thing, i have disabled Windows Defender to try, but with no result....
Thank you...

françois
barryr

Re: Very curious problem on Windows 10, central map very slow

Post by barryr »

Hello francois,

We have very little experience with Windows 10 because our center does not support it yet. But we do have one Windows 10 test machine and one of my coworkers did some testing yesterday on it with McV 1.6. He wasn't able to replicate any of the problems you encountered (a significant delay when using the navigation buttons, changing the projection or changing of times in the Time Animation Widget).

So we're at a bit of a loss. But here are two things you can try:

• Check that your system meets the System Requirements. In particular, its Graphics Cards and Drivers section mentions that you should make sure you have the latest drivers for your system.
  • If your system meets the system requirements, try starting a session with the -tempuserpath flag (which starts a pristine session using a temporary McIDAS-V folder in order to use all the default settings). To do so, go to your McIDAS-V-System directory in a Command Prompt and execute runMcV.bat -tempuserpath. If the session started this way runs better then there must be some local setting(s) that is causing the slowdowns.

Thanks,
Barry
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning Barry

I thank you a lot for your help.... Yes i know that McIdas is no yet validated under Windows 10 fully. But after failure, i bought a PC and Windows 10 is not a choice...

Yes the requirements are Ok. And thank you for the tempuserpath attribute. I tried this and i have the same result. Very slow...

BUT yesterday night, i modified somethings in the rights of the folder <McIDAS-V> under c:\windows\users\myname.... And suddenly, i had, everything return ok. I was able to load several files, display pictures and change map without any problem in performance.... And when i reboot my computer, i found again the same problem, with a map very very slow.

Note that the McIdas installation is frech, without any change. And the installation of the Windows 10 is fresh too.

So i think that the problem is around the rights for the folder <McIDAS-V> under c:\windows\users\myname... I would like to try something.

My question : Is there a possibility to displace this folder, to put it under c:\ directly ?

Thank you for all for your help. I have only one computer, with Windows 10, and this problem is driving me crazy :-)..

Have a nice week end.

Best regards
françois
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hello again françois,

Thank you for providing the details. Technically, you can install McIDAS-V anywhere you have write permissions. That said, in the "Downloading and Running McIDAS-V" section of the User's Guide we specify that Windows users should not install it in places like C:\Program Files because it can lead to permissions problems. I didn't find any notes about users trying to install into C:\Windows like you did, but with C:\Windows containing low-level operating system level code we think it's best to install McIDAS-V into a different location designated specifically for user-installed software and files. A common location that we recommend for installing McIDAS-V on Windows is C:\Users\<username>. Please try installing it there and let us know if you see any differences in performance.

Thank you,
Barry
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi francois,
After talking with a couple Windows experts, I have some additional information/suggestions...

They agreed that you should NOT be putting any user files or software (including McIDAS-V) in the C:\Windows\... folders.

So, preferably before you install McIDAS-V in C:\Users\<username> (as requested in my previous post above), please uninstall McIDAS-V from your C:\Windows\Users\<myname> folder (that you referenced in your last post above). I'm not sure of your menu configuration on Windows 10, but on Windows 7, the uninstall option is available via Start > All Programs > McIDAS-V 1.6 > McIDAS-V Uninstaller. When the uninstall is done, check to make sure that McIDAS-V is completely removed from C:\Windows by checking your C:\Windows\Users\<myname> folders and making sure there are no McIDAS-V subfolders left. If there are, manually delete them.

After you've done all that and then installed McIDAS-V in your C:\Users\<username> folder, please start and run McIDAS-V. If its performance is still poor (e.g., a significant delay when using the navigation buttons, changing the projection or changing of times in the Time Animation Widget), please set the Log Level to TRACE (click Edit > Preferences to bring up the User Preferences window, then select the "Advanced" tab, change the "Log Level" pulldown to TRACE, and click "OK"). Then run some more tests that show the poor performance and submit a Support Request Form (Help > Show Support Request Form) so that we can examine the system files that are automatically attached with the request form.

Thank you,
Barry
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Barry

I'm very very sorry for this very late answer. I wasn't on the net during some days ..

I thank you a lot for what you do on this case .. I could réinstall like you show and return in the normal performance. But the problem return, and so, i make a copy of my viewpoint xml file, and reinstall.

So we will close this topic .. If it may be helpful for another one, i can send log.. Perhaps someone else will meet the same problem.

Thank you for all again..

Have a nice week end
françois