There's no source of public GOES-16 ADDE data?

How do I...?
tim_v

There's no source of public GOES-16 ADDE data?

Post by tim_v »

This isn't directed at the University of Wisconsin as I know they only provide the software... but there is no source of public GOES-16 data (ADDE) anywhere that can be ingested into McIDAS? Or any source of real-time data?

I was hoping to add GOES-16 to my convective weather forecasting routine and get some experience working with this data, but this has kind of turned into a wild goose chase. Everywhere I look trying to find this data comes up dry and I'm kind of frustrated.
barryr

Re: There's no source of public GOES-16 ADDE data?

Post by barryr »

Hi tim_v,

We do not know of any ADDE servers that are offering free GOES-16 data yet.

We checked with NOAA's ESPC (Environmental Satellite Processing Center) group, and they said that ESPC is "not going to be distributing GOES-16 data in McIDAS ADDE format to any external entities" and to contact nesdis.data.access@noaa.gov if there are any questions.

SSEC Satellite Data Services does have ADDE servers offering GOES-16 ABI data, but it is limited to users who pay for the data (and there may be additional restrictions). Users granted access to those servers are given accounting information that allows them to access the data in McIDAS. If you are interested in pursuing this option you can contact them at dc@ssec.wisc.edu.

If we become aware of ADDE servers offering free access to GOES-16 data in the future we will add them to our list of default servers and datasets in McV. It's possible that existing servers in the list, like adde.ucar.edu and adde.ssec.wisc.edu, will add GOES-16 data at some point. (See the Data Formats and Sources page in the McV Guide for info about those and other datasets and supported formats.)

You can view GOES-16 data on RealEarth (https://re.ssec.wisc.edu/s/OoVjY) and also in McV. Here are some notes from a coworker who views RealEarth's GOES-16 data in McV:

For now, to view GOES-16 data in McV, you are limited to using the RealEarth catalog. Here are some quick steps to do that:

1. From the General>Catalogs chooser of the Data Explorer, enter the following catalog: http://re.ssec.wisc.edu/thredds/catalog.xml

2. Expand GOES-16 preliminary non-operational to see a listing of datasets available. They are broken up by domain and band, with 'FD' meaning Full Disk, 'M1' meaning the mesoscale 1, 'M2' meaning mesoscale 2, and 'US' meaning CONUS. For example, choose FD14, one timestep, and click Add Source.

This will display the data right away using the WMS Control, which is different than ADDE servers in that:
  • You can't select a calibration to display.
  • You don't have the ability to specify things like the geographical domain and any data sampling before creating the display.
  • The Layer Controls are different.

3. The full disk will display right away. At this point, things work similar to RealEarth in that as you zoom in on the display, the data will be re-sampled to display itself at a higher resolution. You can make the resolution the highest quality it can be by changing the Resolution dropdown in the Layer Controls to Very High.

There are a couple of limitations working with the GOES-16 from the RealEarth catalog:
  • You can't display a loop of this data using the Time Animation Widget.
  • You can't probe the data with it being a WMS layer (note that probing of this data doesn't currently work in RealEarth, either).

Barry