How to read Multispectral data from Noaa Class

How do I...?
francoisborel

Re: How to read Multispectral data from Noaa Class

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob,

Oh okay. I understand now..

For the TAP files, i found Nimbus data with your excellent advices and try to display them.

I put on the ftp (/pub/incoming as always) a file named : TAP_nimbus_francoisborel.zip

In the data, we have for each data two files. One TAP and one XML...

Thank you a lot. I continue to try to search myself how can i do that ...

Good night
françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob

I think you should not spend time on this TAP files... I ask too at Nasa and here is their answer ...

About satellite data before 1979, i think i damned.

I let you read this answer. You will understand it better than me :-) ....

Cheers
françois

Answer :
Hello,
Did you read the documentation describing these data, particularly the file format (see https://acdisc.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/ ... 1.001/doc/)? XML is the Extended Markup Language, a text based format that encodes information into sets of tags, and we use to encode metadata (data about the data).
The TAP format is a binary file format that is in the original binary format that these data files were originally written on the old archival magnetic tapes, and subsequently transferred to online disk. The README in the doc, has sample code for reading the binary format, as well as description of the binary record structure of the files. Note these files were created in the IBM format, and thus floats must be decoded to modern IEEE float format. The sample code has subroutine for doing this.
Are you looking for satellite imagery? The HRIR data are radiances expressed in blackbody temperature units. There was an imager aboard the Nimbus satellites, but you would need to visit another data center for those....
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks for following up. I did give the TAP file a try in McIDAS-V yesterday and I wasn't able to get it working. I hope you are able to find the data that you are looking for, it seems to be difficult to come across.

- Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

And sorry too.

This post is closed. TAP files are not what i thank.

I know that NOAA began to work on Satellite ESSA (1965-1972).

I'm following that.

Topic closed.

Thank you
françois