How to read Multispectral data from Noaa Class

How do I...?
francoisborel

How to read Multispectral data from Noaa Class

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning everyone,

I found Mutispectral data on NOAA CLASS Site (from GOES7, 1989).

Could you tell me how i can generate the picture in McIDas (Windows) ?

For an example, i put on your ftp server (ftp.ssec.wisc.edu, in /pub/incoming) a file named francoisborel_multispectral.zip.
The file contain a data file and a msi file.

I thank you a lot for your help.

Have a nice week.

Best Regards
françois
bobc

Re: How to read Multispectral data from Noaa Class

Post by bobc »

Hi François -

I picked up your data and I'm seeing the same results, it doesn't work.

I re-ordered the same data off CLASS and it does work for me, but the file names are different. At the time of ordering, I selected the 'Area' format as well as 'VIS' and 'IR'. When my files were ordered, they were delivered as:
  • goes07.1989.258.1246.AREA_IR
  • goes07.1989.258.1246.AREA_VIS

This was with the Multi-spectral Imaging 'Sub mode'. I set up two separate local AREA datasets (one for IR and one for VIS) and I was able to display data from them (through the Satellite>Imagery chooser with the LOCAL-DATA server). Note that I needed two separate datasets because both of these files have the same date/time, so McIDAS-V just lists the first one it finds. There's an inquiry written up to re-work the Satellite>Imagery chooser in a way that you can work with multiple AREA files in the same dataset that have the same date/time.

I'm thinking you ordered your data in a different way than I did. If the method above doesn't give you what you are looking for, can you please let me know how you are ordering your data?

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob

Thank you for your quick answer.

Yes i saw that. In the data that i downloaded, i have two categories of files (in the same order).
- The AREA Data (VIS and IR) and i am able to display the pictures with them...
- And the files that i put on your ftp server.

What i did ? I saw that there is a check box named "Multi-spectral Imaging ". I checked this option and i found, with the VIS and IR ARea files, the files that i put in your ftp...

Conclusion : With the AREA files VIS and IR, i have no problem. But i tried to generate pictures with the multispectral, and after read your answer, i think understand that it's not possible to use them. If i understand correctly, the issue is closed...

Thank you again.... If your are interested to have the data that i download, you can see in the NOAA class server, the order number 2694831043. The files are on their ftp server (ftp.class.ncdc.noaa.gov ... Login anonymous.. Passwd : francoisborel@yahoo.fr)

This is only in the case that this could bring something interesting for McIdas.

Thank you again... Have a nice week

françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Note:
for the files named
goes07.1989.258.1246.AREA_IR
goes07.1989.258.1246.AREA_VIS

I used to do what you suggest. I put VIS and IR in two separate folders and everything work very well.

My issue is for the files named for example : goes07.1989.258.2041...

See the attached picture which shows the list of the files in my directory. In the same order, we have the Area files and multispectral files..
Attachments
ScreenShot021.jpg
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

It looks like the files named:

goes07.1989.258.1246
goes07.1989.258.1246.msi

... are what you get when you choose to order the Raw data. There doesn't look to be a way to work with these Raw files in McIDAS-V. We had written up an inquiry to add the ability to work with these Raw files after another user requested it in the past (Inquiry 1871) but it was closed since the Area format worked.

Out of curiosity, do you know what these Raw files might get you that the Area files won't? If there is any extra data contained in these Raw files that isn't in the Area files I will re-open inquiry 1871 for evaluation.

Thanks -
Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob

I'm sorry for my late answer, and i thank you for your help.
No.. It was just for curiosity.... I already have VIS and IR pictures for this order, and when i saw that i could have Multispectral data, i tried to work with them..
But i have no specially need to have these data.. I'm trying to understand the several data on Noaa Class and too, try to worl better with McIdas..

Thank you again ...

Just a light question... Do you know where i can get (for McIdas) data on 1964 and 1966 years ? (Nimbus ?)....

Have a nice week end ..

Best regards
françois
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

I did some digging around online and the first few places I checked (NASA DAAC at NSIDC and Nasa EarthData) have Nimbus data available for download for your time frame, but none of it is in a format that McIDAS-V can read in and plot to a map. For example, I've seen PNG and TIFF (not GeoTIFF) images that don't include any navigation and thus can't be plotted on a map. I checked with SSEC Satellite Data Services, which has a large inventory of archived and realtime satellite data, and they don't have this Nimbus data, either.

If I'm able to find anything else, I'll let you know. Or perhaps another forum user would know if this data is available and they can reply as well.

Thanks -
Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob

Oh, i thank you a lot !!!!!
TIFF format suits me too, but i have seen the site with Nimbus, and ask them.. But they tell me that Nimbus took pictures on the Artic, not Atlantic.

I continue my search ... And i thank you a lot for trying to help me..

Very rare data....

Have a nice week end ...

françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning Bob

You put me in a interesting way ... USGS tell me that they have Artic pictures but NSIDC seems to have interesting data.

But :
I found them in TAP format..

Do McIdas can read TAP format ?

They tell me to take Unidata IDV Viewer, what i did, (an i see similar things in this software and McIdas), but i'm enable to know how to read TAP files....

Tell me, and in any case, i thank you a lot for all the help you have bring me ..

Cheers
françois

Ps : Sorry again for the english... Very BAD !!!
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

Yes, McIDAS-V and Unidata's IDV are fairly similar. McIDAS-V is built on top of the IDV with a variety of additional functionality related to working with satellite data (including local ADDE, the HYDRA chooser for interrogating with multi/hyperspectral data, and the Suomi NPP chooser) as well as differing scripting capabilities. There are also some pretty basic user interface differences between McIDAS-V and the IDV.

I'm unfamiliar with this TAP format myself. Can you please post a sample file to our ftp for me to take a look at? Once you post it, please let me know the file name.

Thanks -
Bob