Error when open a classic AREA file in McIdas

How do I...?
francoisborel

Error when open a classic AREA file in McIdas

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning everyone,

I used to download on NOAA CLASS some AREA files (VIS and IR) and all is okay for me.

BUT : I found some AREA files of satellite SMS-1 during 1974. When i try to open them (with an local ADDE server), i have an error message.
I search to know if there is a solution in McIdas or if the file is corrupted.

I run with McIDAS V1.6 under Windows Seven.

I attached two files.
One is an AREA file for an IR pictures (i have the same problem with Visible pictures (file : sms01.1974.271.0700-3.AREA_IR)
The second one is an hardcopy of the error (file: error_message_bad_coordonate.jpg)

Note : I can choose the image type. I can see all files with the good date and time, but when i want to add Source, McIdas tell me : Bad latitude, Bad longitude.

I thank you a lot for your help.

Sincerly
françois
Attachments
error_message_bad_coordonate.jpg
francoisborel

Re: Error when open a classic AREA file in McIdas

Post by francoisborel »

I'm sorry but i have some problem to upload the files in the post.
So i put a file named : file_attached_francoisborel.zip in your ftp server...

ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
In the folder pub/incoming

Thank you
françois
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

Sorry for the slow response to this one. I took a look at your data and it looks to be a problem with the actual AREA file itself. I tried it in both McIDAS-V and our other software package (McIDAS-X) and while there's some actual data in the file, the navigation is incorrect to the point where it can't be plotted. A while back, we had another user working with GOES-2 AREA files from CLASS and they show the same problems that your SMS-2 data does. We were told by that user that SMS-2 satellite 1979-80 and GOES-5 1982 data worked, but data older than that showed the problem.

To show that there's actual data in your file, you can load it through the General>Files/Directories chooser with the 'McIDAS AREA files' Data Source Type. From the Field Selector, choose the General>Omni Control display type and click Create Display. This creates a display of the data in the Layer Controls, but none of the points are navigated so there is no map. Also note that there look to be several lines of missing data.

Omni Control display of SMS-2 data
Omni Control display of SMS-2 data

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob
I thank you for all for your analysis.
Ok, so the files are corrupted. I will open an issue at Noaa Class site ..

Thank you again and sorry to make you spend time for a file problem (not a using McIdas problem).

Have a nice week.

Best Regards.
françois