MODIS Land Surface Temperature HDF file

How do I...?
humaid

MODIS Land Surface Temperature HDF file

Post by humaid »

Hello
I am trying to figure out how to visualise the hdf file of Land Surface Temperature from MODIS
The file uploaded in this link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?b66i2c9de21c2pe

I tried several ADDE and grid formats with no luck
Appreciate your help

Humaid
bobc

Re: MODIS Land Surface Temperature HDF file

Post by bobc »

Hello -

I gave your file a try and I'm replicating that it doesn't work in McIDAS-V (or our other software, McIDAS-X).

There is a bug report written up that the MOD04 server doesn't work with Collection 6 data, like the data ordered from NASA LAADS. However, with this LAADS data, you don't see an error until Create Display is clicked in the Field Selector. With your data, the error comes earlier in the process (when selecting the Image Type) so something different is going on.

Can you please let me know where you got this data from?

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
humaid

Post by humaid »

bobc wrote:
Can you please let me know where you got this data from?

Hello Bob
Thank you for the reply
I download it using Worldview ( http://go.nasa.gov/2gWPqtW )

Humaid
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks for the link to the EOSDIS Worldview. The MOD04 files that I've ordered from the page myself don't work through the local ADDE server (same error as Inquiry 16064 I linked ot earlier), but they do work through the General>Files/Directories chooser with the 'HYDRA data source' Data Type. The file you posted does not work in either case, there's a Null Pointer Exception at Add Source when trying to use the General>Files/Directories chooser. Perhaps we are ordering the data in a different way? Here's a step-by-step of what I'm doing to order the data:

1. From the Layers tab of the Worldview page, I removed the 5 default layers there
  2. From the Layers tab, I clicked the '+ Add Layers' button
  3. In the Hazards And Disasters tab, I selected the top left item for 'Aerosol Optical Depth'
  4. In the followup window, I selected the top item for Terra/MODIS 'Aerosol Optical Depth' and closed the search window
  5. On the left side of the window, I clicked the 'Data' button to plot the track. I clicked on the plus sign between Oman and India (06:25 - 06:30 to match the time of your data)
  6. From the Data tab, I clicked the 'Download Selected Data' button
  7. In the Download Links window, I clicked on the blue text of the 'MOD04*' file to download it

I was then able to load this file through the General>Files/Directories chooser, select the '2D grid > Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean' field, the Color-Shaded Plan View display type, and display the data. From the Layer Controls, I shaded the colors and changed the enhancement to 'System > Gray Scale'. Here's my output image:
MOD04_AOD.jpg

Our file names are the same, but the sizes are different:
Yours: MOD04_L2.A2015091.0625.006.2015091223252.hdf - 5,262 KB
Mine : MOD04_L2.A2015091.0625.006.2015091223252.hdf - 4.474 KB

This is why I'm wondering if we are ordering the data in the same way... perhaps there's an additional option you selected that I didn't? If you wanted to look at my data, I put it on our ftp. Here are some commands you can run (from a command prompt/terminal) to pick up the data:

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
user: anonymous
password: your email address
bin
cd pub/incoming
get MOD04_L2.A2015091.0625.006.2015091223252.hdf
bye

This file will remain on ftp for about a week before it will be removed.

Thanks -
Bob
humaid

Post by humaid »

Dear Bob
Thank you for your detailed explanation
I follow your procedure.
The procedure as you explained works fine for MODIS Aerosol Optical Depth hdf files but not for Land Surface Temperature hdf files downloaded from the same site.
Sorry for the confusion caused by the file name, probably I accidentally saved Land Surface Temperature file by selecting pre-existing Aerosols Optical Depth file name in the folder.
The actual Land Surface Temperature MODIS granule file name is MYD11_L2.A2015091.2320.041.2015093205144.hdf
here is a close zoom of the file on Worldview
http://go.nasa.gov/2hbkR3N
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks for clearing that up. I ordered your data and there doesn't appear to be a way to work with it currently in McIDAS-V. There needs to be a new local server added for this MOD11/MYD11 Land Surface Temperature data. I've written up McIDAS-V Inquiry 2467 to add this server to McIDAS-V, but I can't make any promises on when this server will be added. I made a note to contact you when the work is done.

- Bob