How to get image from Eumetsat data AREA format

How do I...?
francoisborel

How to get image from Eumetsat data AREA format

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning everyone,
First i'm very sorry for my bad english.

I use McIDAS since several weeks and all is okay with NOAA CLass files in AREA format. But i try to display pictures from Eumetsat and can't see any pictures on the MAP.

Could you help me ?

I attach two files :
- An example of Eumetsat data
- An hardcopy of my problem in McIDAS

I thank you a lot for your help.

Best Regards
françois
Attachments
ScreenShot1698.jpg
METEOSAT3-MVIRI-MTP15-NA-NA-19890123073000.000000000Z-19890123073000-1197536.tar.gz
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 377 times
hproe

Re: How to get image from Eumetsat data AREA format

Post by hproe »

Hi François -
There should be no problem. I was able to display the image straight away (a scene over the Indian Ocean?).
Do the following:
1. un-gz and un-tar the file
2. In McIDAS-V navigate go
Data Sources > General > Files/Directories
and select your files form the file chooser
3. Click 'Add Source' at the bottom of the window
4. In the pop-up widget click 'OK', i.e. you agree with the proposed Data Source Type (McIDAS AREA)
5. In the Field Selector under Fields click the key icon to the left of All Images
6. Click '1989-01...'
7. Click 'Create Display' at the bottom of the window ... and the image appears
I hope this helps
HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

I agree with HP, this file seems to be working fine for myself as well. In addition to HP's suggestion, you could also set up a local dataset with the McIDAS AREA format and work with the data through the Satellite>Imagery chooser.

Are you using McIDAS-V 1.6? If so, what platform are you on?

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Hproe, Hello Bobc

Thank you a lot.

For Hproe :
It is exactly what i do. With NOAA class files (Area format), this displays the picture. But with Eumetsat, this open the screen that i attached, with no picture in the map.

For Bobc,
I tried to create an ADDE local Server. But finally, when i choose the image type, i have an error. I attach three screen shots :
- Creation of the ADDE local server
- Screen showing the connection to the server with the choice of the image type
- the error message with detail.

I'm running on McIDAS V 1.6, and under WIndows Seven Familial Edition Premium (service pack 1)

Tell me if i can put anything else..

Thank you again.

Cheers
françois

Ps : Yes, scene from Indian Ocean, to make an animation of cyclone Firinga in 1989...
Attachments
ScreenShot1701.jpg
ScreenShot1700.jpg
ScreenShot1699.jpg
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

I'm replicating your local ADDE error if I don't unzip/untar the data file. Once I unzip/untar the file, I end up with two files:

• Mcidas_METEOSAT3-MVIRI-MTP15-NA-NA-19890123073000.VIS6
  • README

I then removed the zipped/tarred versions of the file as well as the README and pointed my local ADDE dataset to the directory with the files listed above. Can you verify that you unzipped/untarred the file? The file will have to be unzipped/untarred to be read through correctly through the General>Files/Directories chooser as well.

For what it's worth, here is the image I get on my Windows 7 machine when I load the data in via ADDE:
meteosat3.jpg

Thanks -
Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello,

Yes thank you. I understand something. We must delete sur tar gz and readme files from the directory before load pictures.
So i do that and i have py picture.

But i have not the same that you. I attach what i see.. It's better than explain in wrong english...

Is there a problem with the data or a McIdas parameter ?

Thank you...

Cheers
françois
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

It looks like we are getting close. Looking at your screenshot, you are displaying a visible image at 2:00Z where a good chunk of the image is still dark. Could you try displaying an IR band (if you have it available) at that time and see if the image looks better? The time of the data you posted on the forum was from the same day (1989-01-23) but from a different time (07:30:00). Can you try displaying that image time instead and see if it makes a difference in your display?

Thanks -
Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Oh i'm sorry... On 4 pictures, i have 2 with this curious thing, and 2 with the good picture..

Sorry sorry.. Everything is okay for this topics.. I thank you a lot for your help and will be able to work now on my case.

Thank you a lot...

I don't know if i have something to do, but the case is closed. Resolved. Thank you !

françois