local jython library completely wiped out, any way to recove

How do I...?
kbedka1

local jython library completely wiped out, any way to recove

Post by kbedka1 »

Earlier today, I was doing some looking at my local jython library. I checked a few things, then I noticed by library was blank. Not sure how it got cleared out, but it seemed OK to me since I never clicked "Save". Now when I go back to my library, it's all gone. A lot of time was spent figuring out those formulas. Is there any way to get them back?
jayh

Re: local jython library completely wiped out, any way to recove

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

I'm efforting with the programmers to get some ideas on this. At first glance there doesn't seem to be a McIDAS-V way to do this. Here is the response I've received so far:

He uses a MacBook, right? If so, and he has Time Machine active, that should do it.
Even if not active, there is a little trick Mike Hiley showed me once that saved my butt.
I'm hoping DaveP or Jon know about this, since I don't remember the details, but I think
the gist of it is behind the scenes even if not active Time Machine will give you a limited (maybe
one time step) backup.

If you somehow can get an instance recovered of your McIDAS-V folder, that should contain your local jython library.

I'll update the thread as I get more ideas.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

I have some more information and questions for you after talking more with the programmers.

1. Are all of your other preferences still intact? Local ADDE datasets, additional remote servers, layouts, local color tables, etc.

2. Run an ls -al command on your .../McIDAS-V/python directory and let us know those results. We are looking for zero length files, or if the software just isn't reading the files in this directory correctly.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

I also wanted to follow up on the Time Machine backup possibility. Here is the information from the programmer:

Yeah, Time Machine does "local snapshots" but it looks like you have to actually have Time Machine turned on. Check out:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

The apple support link mentioned daily and weekly snapshots, so maybe something would be of use.

Thanks, Jay