Two World Country Outlines maps, different results

How do I...?
kbedka

Two World Country Outlines maps, different results

Post by kbedka »

I'm looking at some data over Africa and I was trying to find a map of lakes in the region. I looked at the list of available maps and see two options for "World Country Outlines", see attached I displayed both to see how they compare and noticed that they are significantly different. In some cases I see a 15 km shift in the maps. The upper of the two options seems to be lower resolution and thus poor quality, can't imagine that anyone would want this option when a higher res map is available.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.30.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.30.38 AM.png
jayh

Re: Two World Country Outlines maps, different results

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

The current version of McV has two different labels for the World Country Outlines maps:
World Country Outlines (Hi-Res)
World Country Outlines

This was implemented in inquiry 1484 in version 1.5. By looking at your screenshot, I'm guessing you might have a saved default map set that has the pre-1.5 listing where they are labeled with the same name. In this inquiry we also made the decision to leave both maps for a few reasons:
- bundle compatibility
- one map has US State and Canadian Provinces
- each map has a variety of islands missing, so each user might prefer one over the other depending on their desired domain.

We have a couple of other map inquiries to update these and other maps in general. Inquiry 886 and Inquiry 2191 are both in the queue for our programmers. Inquiry 2191 does have some suggestions of websites were more complete maps can be obtained and imported into -V as well.

Hope this information helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks, Jay