Radar data display at selected latitude/longitude point

How do I...?
kpryor12

Radar data display at selected latitude/longitude point

Post by kpryor12 »

I am attempting to display China Meteorological Administration (CMA) Doppler weather radar reflectivity data for a severe thunderstorm event that occurred on 1 June 2015. The radar site is located at Yueyang, Hunan Province, at latitude 29.3N/longitude 113.1E. The dataset appears to display correctly, except that the center of the display is placed at latitude 0/longitude 0 (off the west coast of Africa). Is there any possible way to set the center of the display at the radar site location? Sample CMA radar datasets (in WSR-88D format) are available in this FTP directory:
ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/smcd/opdb/CMA_Radar/
Attachments
Z_1234_zout.png
Z_1234.png
dataexplorer.png
bobc

Re: Radar data display at selected latitude/longitude point

Post by bobc »

Hello Ken -

McIDAS-V has a database of known radar stations and this station over China isn't included in this database so it plots at lat/lon 0/0. I've written up adding these CMA radar stations to this database as McIDAS-V Inquiry 2415. The only workaround for adding these stations so they can be worked with in McIDAS-V 1.6 is to add a nextradstations.xml file to your McIDAS-V directory.
nexradstations.xml
(221 Bytes) Downloaded 505 times

With this file in your /user/McIDAS-V directory, you should see "Yueyang, Hunan Province (YYHN)" in the Station dropdown of the Radar > Level II > Local chooser. The data will display at the proper lat/lon location if this station is selected at Add Source. The format of this file is pretty simple, so you should be able to add additional stations to this file if needed using the "YYHN" line as an example.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
kpryor12

Post by kpryor12 »

Bob,
Thanks for the guidance and for providing the XML file. I followed your directions, but, unfortunately, this doesn't work. I'm still using McV v1.4 because v1.5 and 1.6 will not work on my Windows PC.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ken -

There was a change for 1.6 to allow McIDAS-V to look for the presence of this nexradstations.xml file and make use of it. This was a very minor code change buried in mcidasv.jar. I went in and made the change to the 64-bit Windows 1.4 mcidasv.jar and put it on ftp for you to grab. Here are instructions:

1. cd to your McIDAS-V-System directory (where you installed McV 1.4).
2. rename mcidasv.jar to mcidasv_original.jar
3. grab the new file off ftp (from a command prompt):

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
user: anonymous
password: email address
bin
cd pub/incoming
get mcidasv.jar
bye

4. try starting up McIDAS-V with the nexradstations.xml file in your McIDAS-V directory

Note that I did only some very limited testing with this version of mcidasv.jar in 1.4. If you notice any problems, you may have to remove it and rename mcidasv_original.jar back to mcidasv.jar. If you have any questions about this, or want to resume discussion from your Start-up errors with V1.5 forum post to further investigate why 1.5 and 1.6 don't work on your machine please let me know.

Thanks again -
Bob
kpryor12

Post by kpryor12 »

Bob,
Thanks.
I could not find the original mcidasv.jar file in my McIDAS-V-System directory. I did copy your version of mcidasv.jar to the McIDAS-V-System directory, and then started McIDAS-V. However, I still don't see the Yueyang radar site in the station list.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ken -

Assuming you start up McIDAS-V with a desktop icon, can you right click on it and go to Properties. Next to 'Target' and 'Start in', you should see the directory path to the McIDAS-V-System directory being used to start McIDAS-V. For example, in my image below my McIDAS-V-System directory is C:/Users/rcarp/McV_1.4/McIDAS-V-System/. The left image is a folder showing the contents of the McIDAS-V-System directory with the mcidasv.jar file selected:
mcidasv_jar.png

This will just verify that you are looking at the correct McIDAS-V-System directory that is being used to start up McV 1.4.

Thanks -
Bob
kpryor12

Post by kpryor12 »

Bob,
That finally worked! I had actually placed the .jar file in the wrong System directory. Attached is a sample image now displayed at the correct radar location.
Thanks again for all your help and patience,
Ken
Attachments
Z_1234.png