read in sample GOES-R netcdf "Cloud Moisture Imagery (CMI)"?

How do I...?
Bernie Connell

read in sample GOES-R netcdf "Cloud Moisture Imagery (CMI)"?

Post by Bernie Connell »

Since McV can read in netcdf data, I was wondering if it could read the sample GOES-R netcdf Cloud Moisture Imagery (CMI) that as I understand, will be one of the formats that GOES-R imagery will be made available in. Here is a link to the sample data set:
http://www.goes-r.gov/products/baseline ... agery.html
I was not successful in displaying the netcdf files in McV. Since the link has an image with the SSEC and CIMSS logos - perhaps someone already knows how to do this? I also looked under McIDAS-X to see if it could read in the netcdf files and it mentions needing a configuration file...

Bernie
joleenf

Re: read in sample GOES-R netcdf "Cloud Moisture Imagery (CMI)"?

Post by joleenf »

Hi Bernie,

It looks to me like the 16 panel on the GOES-R web page is from McIDAS-X. However, you can view CMI data in either McV 1.5 or McV 1.6 (nightly) using the general file chooser with Data Type of "Grid Files (netCDF/GRIB/OPeNDAP/GEMPAK)".

I have not had problems displaying recent test data from GOES-R. Which version of test data do you have?

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 10.13.01 AM.png

DR_ABI-L2-CMIPF-M3C07_G16_s20152321953336_e20152322004125_c20152322004166_500X300_labeled.png

Thanks,
Joleen
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

One quick note is that any subsetting of the data, by either selecting a region in the Region tab of the Field Selector, or by setting a stride in the Data Sampling tab doesn't work in 1.5. You can, however, display the entire domain at full resolution. In the 1.6beta1 nightly builds, you can do this subsetting and things work.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
Bernie Connell

Post by Bernie Connell »

I was wondering if the sample data set I downloaded off the GOES-R homepage was a bit dated. The date on the zip file says 20140331 and the data in the file have 2 dates 2005155201500 and 2014058...

I am trying to read in the data with the general / grid file (netcdf) , so it sounds like it is the data set. Where can I get a more recent data set? Can I (or someone there) let the GOES-R folks know that a newer set is available so that users can have access to it?

Thanks,
Bernie
bobc

Post by bobc »

For completeness of this forum post, Bernie was pointed towards more updated simulated data. In addition, here were comments from a scientist about the ABI data on the GOES-R website being out of date:
Yes, I just raised this issue and many sample datasets (GRB, Level1b radiances and derived Level 2) from DOE-4 will be posted to the GOES-R web site. That exercise runs mid-July to mid-August. So, I would assume early September.

- Bob Carp