reading AVHRR GAC data from 1992

How do I...?
hproe

reading AVHRR GAC data from 1992

Post by hproe »

Hi -

I have a couple of AVHRR GAC data from 1992. I have tried to read them with a local server, but did not find an adequate one. The following files are uploaded to the SSEC server:
NSS.GHRR.NH.D92086.S1224.E1409.B1804647.GC
NSS.GHRR.NH.D92086.S0207.E0358.B1804041.WI
Any idea how to do it?

cheers, HP
bobc

Re: reading AVHRR GAC data from 1992

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

This looks like a bug with the LV1B local servers. I can't work with the data through the Absolute Times tab of the Field Selector, but I can add the data via the Relative Times tab in the Satellite>Imagery chooser. From here, I chose the '2 most recent' times and I was able to add and then display the data. One thing I noticed is that the timestamp after creating the display differs quite a bit to how the times are listed in the Absolute tab of the Satellite>Imagery chooser:

Position 1:.....Satellite>Imagery tab time....Display time (Time animation widget)
1................02:26:32.........................02:07:06
2................13:51:27.........................12:24:17

I'm replicating this using the local servers in McIDAS-X as well. Since this looks to be a problem with the server, I wrote up both McIDAS-X and McIDAS-V inquiries:
McIDAS-X Inquiry 16109
McIDAS-V Inquiry 2038

Thanks for reporting this bug, and I hope using the Relative tab of the Satellite>Imagery chooser to load the data is an acceptable workaround for now.

- Bob Carp
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

Based on your 'relative time' tip, I have been able to process and display successfully the data sets.

I am not sure what format you have been using with the local ADDE server. When choosing 'NOAA AVHRR 1b' I immediately got a localhost:8112 error, but 'Metop AVHRR 1b' with relative times did the job.

HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

I'm glad that you were able to get this working. I was using the 'Metop AVHRR L 1b' format, but I'm also able to use the 'NOAA AVHRR L 1b' format without error. I'm surprised that one format works for you but not the other, since under the hood these two formats both use the same level 1b server. Are you working with just the two files that you posted to our ftp, or are you using more files? Also, I'm assuming you are using a nightly build on Windows, is that correct?

Thanks -
Bob
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

I have been working only with these two files, and with recent nightlies.

HP
hproe

Post by hproe »

I wanted to display an old GAC granule from NOAA-6 (CLASS retrieval, recent nightly McV build). As indicated in the thread Bob posted McIDAS-V Inquiry 2038 quite some time ago. Looking it up now, it is reported as RESOLVED.
However, the problem of not being able to load the data via absolute time persists. When clicking Add Source the follwoing error message is issued:
ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Data load failed for edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.data.adde.AddeImageParameterDataSource
at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1660)
at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1978)
at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1895)
at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1829)
at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1802)
at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.chooser.adde.AddeImageChooser.doLoadInThread(AddeImageChooser.java:2867)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1215)
at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)

The trick, indicated in this thread, to use relative time works fine. As noted by Bob the timestamp (1981-05-03 03:16:13UTC) is different from the one indicated in the list of absolute times (1981-05-03 03:51:24UTC).
I also recommend that you better isolate such old granules in separate folders (and use specific local ADDE servers). Otherwise with relative times they end up at the end of the (may be long) list, like it happened to me.

HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

You're correct on both counts, the bug still exists and the McIDAS-V inquiry is closed. The reason the McIDAS-V inquiry is closed is because the change to get this fixed will have to come through updated local ADDE servers. These servers are created in McIDAS-X, so there are no code changes on the McIDAS-V side that will fix things. We have McIDAS-X inquiry 16109 written up to get this fixed. If the Lv1b server gets fixed on the McIDAS-X side, then these updated local servers will be moved into McIDAS-V and things should be work well.

Thanks for the suggestion of isolating old granules in separate folders.

Thanks again,
Bob