Radar Calibration

How do I...?
joleenf

Radar Calibration

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have some TDWR radar areas that were converted from netCDF to area in McIDAS-X. It appears that the calibration is correct in McIDAS-X, but there is no calibration on the raw counts in McIDAS-V. Is this correct and is there a way I can fix this.

Examples at ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/joleenf/

Thanks,
Joleen
Rick

Re: Radar Calibration

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

I compared your radar area file compared to one create with IMGCOPY. Your AREA has a few words that need to be fixed:

LWU POKE AREA0001 0 56
LWU POKE AREA0001 236 60
LWU POKE AREA0001 768 62
LWU POKE AREA0001 1 63

Note, even with these words corrected, you can only display RAW values in McIDAS-V. I have create Inquiry 2203 to address the issue. A code change may have to be made to McIDAS-X.
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Rick,

Ideally, the TDWR files could be read directly into McV without having to use the NEXRAD-AREA conversion in McX.

If I am understanding you correctly, there is nothing I can do at this time to fix this issue? The animation that I was trying to create for this project is long overdue.

Thanks,
Joleen
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

Please post the original netCDF file and we can have a programmer see why it does not load directly into McIDAS-V.

Rick
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I posted two files to ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/joleenf/. Please let me know if you need more. The velocity TDWR files load okay as far as I can tell, but reflectivity do not. There should be a help desk thread on this subject. The title was "TDWR Data in McX and McV"

Thank-you,
Joleen
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

Thanks for the reminder of the help desk email thread, Joleen. I read over them to refresh my memory. Unidata put in a fix for the *TR0* radar files in McIDAS-X. The changes were made in McIDAS-X inquiry 15860. I just ran a quick test of the TR0DEN files you posted on ftp, and in our tester build of McX the files seem to display and probe well. This inquiry has not yet been fully tested, though.

The relevant McIDAS-V inquiry for these files is inquiry 2070.

- Bob