US Satellite and Topography Composite

How do I...?
stormchasing101

US Satellite and Topography Composite

Post by stormchasing101 »

Hello Guys,
I am trying to recreate a display I found online that was created using McIDAS-V. I am hoping someone can help me out with it and maybe upload the bundle. Here is a screen shot for someone to work with. All my attempts have looked positively hideous with pixelated Blue Marble and a lousy transparent satellite over it. I hope this won't inconvenience anyone. Thanks.
--Carl
Attachments
McIDAS-V Satellite Composite.png
Rick

Re: US Satellite and Topography Composite

Post by Rick »

Hi Carl,

That image was created with McIDAS-X, but you can get close using McIDAS-V. An abstract is available from the 2006 AMS meeting describing the algorithm used.

Here are the steps I used to create the image below:
Using the catalog chooser enter this url: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/georesources/idvcatalog.xml
Open the Web Map Servers and select NASA-NEOWMS
Choose Blue Marble -> Next Generation
This image is not from the current day. You'll have to do some web searches to see if you can find an updated daily image. You might have to use the flat file chooser.
Back to data sources
Load the most recent RAP and GOES Satellite images (I used adde.ucar.edu - GINICOMP - GSN8KIR)
From the field selector, choose formula>miscellaneous>Negate a field
From the pop up window select formula>miscellaneous>Simple Difference
For field a, select GSN8KIR>Band 4> Temperature. Under the advanced tab, select the entire image
For field b, select RR CONUS>2D>Temperature>Temperature@Specified height.
As a test, I would choose just a single matching date and time for both the image and RAP data.
Create the display.
I would suggest keeping the range constant - -20 -> 110 should work well. This way you can also save your color table.
Edit the color table and add points at 4 and 8. Set the transparency for the minimum value @ 100%, 4 @ 90% and 8 @ 60%. Interpolate the transparencies between these break points. (make sure the 60% transparency at 8 is also interpolated to the maximum values).

I tossed this together quickly, so let me know if you have any questions.

Rick
Attachments
example.jpg
stormchasing101

Re: US Satellite and Topography Composite

Post by stormchasing101 »

Hi Rick,
Thank you very much for the help, it took me a couple of tries, but I got it to work beautifully. I saved the bundle. Thanks again :)

--Carl