Memory issue

How do I...?
humaid

Memory issue

Post by humaid »

Hello
I have a Laptop 64bits with 8GB of Ram, Windows 8.1 and Java 8 64 bit
Although the memory is setup to be 80% of the available Memory ( 7813), McIDAS-V is accessing only 455 MB!

I was running McIDAS-V_1.4_windows64 with the same problem and then I tried also McIDAS-V_1.5beta2_windows64_installer but the problem persist

Thank you for helping
barryr

Re: Memory issue

Post by barryr »

Hi humaid,
We would like to see some of your system properties information that is available only by using McV's Support Request Form, plus see screenshots of your McV Main Display window and Advanced Preferences window (Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab).

So please do the following:

1. Save screenshots of those two windows (like the example ones I attached).
2. Click Help > Show Support Request Form, then add the two screenshots via the Attachment 1 and Attachment 2 fields at the bottom and any comments/info you want to the Description field, then click the Send Request button.

That will send the information to the McIDAS Help Desk so we can see the information we need.
Thank you,
Barry
Attachments
main_display.jpg
advanced_prefs.jpg
humaid

Post by humaid »

Dear Barry
Many thanks for your kind reply

The support request form is sent as you described

Humaid
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello Humaid -

Thanks for sending the images to the help desk. Can you please do the following:

In the directory where you installed McIDAS-V 1.5beta2, using a command prompt, cd to your McIDAS-V-System directory. From the log file that came to our help desk, I believe this would be in your C:/Program Files/McIDAS-V-System/ directory. From here, run the following:

runMcV.bat -tempuserpath

Once McIDAS-V starts up, does McIDAS-V use the appropriate amount of memory? This -tempuserpath flag starts up McIDAS-V as if it were the first time it was run on your machine. Therefore, any remote/local datasets, formulas, color enhancements, etc you have made will not be included in the session. This test would help to confirm if there is something on your system that is causing the memory problem, or perhaps some setting you changed in McIDAS-V is causing the problem.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
humaid

Post by humaid »

Hello Bob

I did
runMcV.bat -tempuserpath

the limited access to the memory still there
Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-04-10 08.34.00.png
Screenshot 2015-04-10 08.29.35.png
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Humaid,
Thank you for running a session with -tempuserpath and reporting the results.

We're not sure why it isn't working. We notified a couple systems programmers who will be looking into it. In the meantime, please try setting the amount of memory manually by clicking the radio button below the "Use 80%..." one and then entering a value like 2000 megabytes, like shown in the attached screenshot.

Then please restart McV (which is required anytime an Advanced Preference setting is changed) for and let us know if that works any differently, i.e., if the main display window still shows 455 MB for the max available memory (or it shows a value like 1778 MB that reflects the 2 GB setting).

Thank you,
Barry
Attachments
advanced_prefs_2gb.jpg
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Humaid,
I just sent you a private email about also downloading and running a batch file named statMcV.bat that our systems programmer created. Please see the email for instructions.

Thanks,
Barry
humaid

Post by humaid »

Thank you Barryr for your patience with this issue
I did try to specify the memory manually as you described and restart the system but no change

Humaid
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-04-16 08.55.19(2).png
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Humaid,
One of my colleagues (bobc, who posted above) did some online searching and found the likely cause!

Bob found that there were many reports of Minecraft users running into the 455 MB memory limit on Windows 7 and 8 machines (e.g., http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/su ... ns-xmx512m).

It appears that many who reported this problem had a _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable setting that prevented Minecraft from accessing more than 455 MB memory. You can check to see if that environment variable is set on your system by opening a Command Prompt and running the following command:

echo %_JAVA_OPTIONS%

If it returns "%_JAVA_OPTIONS%" then it means that the environment variable is not set (because in that case it just echoes what you typed in). If it returns "-Xmx512m" then it's set and is forcing the 512/455 MB limit you're seeing in McV.

As a result, today our systems programmer added a fix in McV where at startup it unsets _JAVA_OPTIONS (in McV only) so that it cannot interfere with the memory setting in the Advanced Preferences. The fix is included in the newest nightly release at http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/unstable/, so please download the McIDAS-V_1.5beta2_windows64_installer.exe from there, install it, give McV a try and let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Barry
humaid

Re: Memory issue -Solved

Post by humaid »

Indeed echo %_JAVA_OPTIONS% resulted in "-Xmx512m" !
and installing the new version will solves the problem
Thank you Barry and thanks to Bob :D