Cursor data readout panel

How do I...?
shaima.nasiri

Cursor data readout panel

Post by shaima.nasiri »

Is there a way to make the pop-up cursor data readout panel permanently visible?

On a Mac, I can Command-click and get a pop-up window that displays the values under the cursor of all images. But, once I release the mouse button, the window goes away. This means that I can't write down the values.
joleenf

Re: Cursor data readout panel

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have a related question. Before McIDAS-V 1.4, I was able to create a Date Probe/Time Series display any field even if there was only a single time. This would provide the functionality that Shaima is requesting. Now, the data must be a time-series. This change is not ideal. I prefer the old behavior, even if it provides a meaningless time series plot, I can still read my data probe whenever I need. Furthermore, this allowed me to display multiple field values at once and quickly. Is there a purpose behind this decision?

Joleen
shaima.nasiri

Post by shaima.nasiri »

Joleen, thanks for reassuring me that I'm not imagining that I was able to add a probe to a single image last year. (I'm updating a lab assignment from last year and the work-around is going to be to use command-click for data value display and let students work in pairs.)
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Shaima & Joleen-

Currently there is no way to have the cursor readout stay displayed continuously. Also, I see how the behavior has changed between versions 1.3 and 1.4. Sorry for that inconvenience. I believe it was changed with some other tweaks to the display and we didn't test for a series of one time. I've written inquiry 1693 for this to be looked at: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1693

If you have any further comments, just let us know.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hello-

I wanted to give a little more information on this… the change was made in inq. 1246 (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1246) to be consistent with other time series choosers that prevented single times from being displayed. We were unaware of the other functionality that we removed. There is quite a bit of discussion in inq. 1246, so we added that information to this new inquiry. We also put in a note in inq. 1693 that mentions it might be best to leave the current behavior and instead make an option for the probe to be continuously viewed.

Again, thanks for reporting this problem.

-Jay
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jay,

I find that the feature provides the option to add data probes without displaying additional fields in the main display useful as well. Often, I need to know the value of various fields without needing to display more than a single field. For instance, I might want to display Brightness Temperature, but add a probe for radiance and raw counts as well. This is also nice because I only click the data probe display once, and I can continue to add fields using Add Selected. It is a small shortcut.

Joleen
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

hi all
I would suggest that single time should also be allowed
in data probe/time series if function type of field is
time->((x,y)->(band).
What about RGB composite?? Is it reqd??:-)
regards
Ghanshyam
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghansham -

Thanks for your comments. I've added to Inquiry 1693 that you also want to restore the ability to use only one time with the Data Probe/Time Series display.

Thanks again -
Bob
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

The ability to create a Data Probe/Time Series display with only one time step has been added to the 1.8beta1 nightly. The inquiry is still in testing, but it appears to be working well. If you give it a try and run into any problems, please let us know.

Thanks,
Bob