Default Background Maps

How do I...?
henryb

Default Background Maps

Post by henryb »

Hi There,
I'm trying to get rid of the the 'Default Background Maps' from my bundle but whatever I do they seem to reappear with the padlock locked . I've checked the xml in the bundle and the maps are not present
This happens in interactive mode and script mode. I have checked the xml
I just want use my own maps or use the maps "as a data source"

Many thanks

... Henry
Rick

Re: Default Background Maps

Post by Rick »

Hi Henry,

I displayed some gridded model data and turned off the maps from the legend (unchecked Default Map Backgrounds), saved a bundle and when I opened the bundle the maps were not shown.

I also turned off individual maps through the layer control (Default Map Backgrounds remained checked), saved a bundle and when I opened the bundle the maps were not shown.

My testing was done using McIDAS-V version 1.4 on a Windows 7 64 bit workstation. Let us know how you are trying to turn off the maps and the platform you are running.

Rick
henryb

Post by henryb »

Hi Rick,
Am running McIDAS v 1.4 linux 64bit
The problem seems to happen in script mode , even when I remove the "Default Background Maps" from the bundle
?

... Henry
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Henry,

We understand that you can change the xml file for a bundle, but it is not the recommended procedure. We would rather get you the correct function calls to accomplish you task. Below are a couple of example lines that will turn off the default maps in the background.

panel=buildWindow(height=500, width=500)
panel[0].getLayer(0).setLayerVisible(False)

This does not address the issue of adding your own map. I'll do a little more digging and let you know if there might be a solution.

Rick
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Henry,

One of our programmers just wrote a quick function to turn off/on a map by name.

panel=buildWindow(height=500, width=500)
panel[0].setMapVisibilityByDescription('World Coastlines',False)

This is only in the nightly. This way you can turn off individual maps and not all the default maps. If you have your map in the list of maps, you could turn off all the other default maps and leave your map visible. The function has not gone through official testing.

Rick
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Henry-

One more thing, if you could send your bundle and script to the help desk, that may help us in searching for your problem. You can contact the help desk through the -V application. From the Main Window go to Help -> Show Support Request Form, and you will get a window to send an email to the help desk. Attach your bundle and script in Attachment #1 and #2, and have the check boxes checked at the bottom as well. We can then try to do a better job at recreating your problem.

Thanks, Jay