CALIPSO 1km cloud layer

How do I...?
joleenf

CALIPSO 1km cloud layer

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I downloaded CALIPSO 1km cloud layer data from the peate, I can load the data into the field selector but can't display it. Is this supposed to work in HYDRA?

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/joleen ... 4-01ZN.hdf
ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/joleen ... 0-21ZD.hdf

this file downloaded from NASA does work

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/ssec/joleen ... 9-11ZD.hdf

Joleen
Rick

Re: CALIPSO 1km cloud layer

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

The two data files appear to have different version numbers. In the past, this caused problems with Cloud Sat data. I have written up inquiry 1683 to evaluate the new data formats. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1683
shaima.nasiri

Post by shaima.nasiri »

Has there been any progress on loading Version 3 CALIPSO cloud layer products into McIDAS-V through Hydra?
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Shaima-

There has been no updates to the code for this issue. I checked the behavior in the current code and Version 2 files still work, and the Version 3 files do not.

I also want to clarify, to use these files you need to use the General Files chooser and not Hydra. If you load the version 2 file in the general files chooser with the File Type: Hydra Data Source (not multispectral), you can view the "ProfileAlongTrack" of the data. Once a variable is selected in the Fields pane of the Field Selector, you will get the "ProfileAlongTrack" Display type as an option. The version 3 files will load into the Field Selector, but when the ProfileAlongTrack Display type is chosen, nothing happens.

The inquiry is still in evaluation, so the program managers still will be looking at it and assigning it a priority. The programmer was also going to take a quick look at the files to see if it's something that is simple to be changed. I will update this forum thread if some progress is made in the short term.

If you have any other questions, just let us know.

Thanks, Jay
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Are there any CALIPSO Cloud Layer Files that work in McIDAS-V right now? I have only been able to display attenuated backscatter lately. What are the plans?

Joleen
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Joleen-

There have been no new developments with the CALIPSO data. It is on the programmer's list, but it is not slated for the upcoming release.

Thanks, Jay
stevew@ssec.wisc.edu

Post by stevew@ssec.wisc.edu »

Has there been any work done on this? This used to work with older formats of the data. For example, CAL_LID_L2_01kmCLay-ValStage1-V3-01.2006-13T00-44-41ZD.hdf can display in McIDAS-V. At least the Layer_Top_Altitude, DEM_Surface_Elevation, Track2D and Track3D can. However, V3-30 isn't able to display anything.

Thanks,
steve
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Steve and Joleen,

A couple McV programmers completed some work on this yesterday. Using today's nightly release we did some quick testing and it appears that the V3-30 CAL_LID_L2_01kmCLay and CAL_LID_L2_333mCLay files from PEATE now work correctly (in addition to the L1 files that already worked). They hope to address some of the other L2 formats from PEATE in the future (possibly next week).

You're welcome to try out the nightly, keeping in mind that it's a beta version so is not fully tested and supported. If you need information on how to access the nightly please let us know.

Thanks,
Barry
stevew@ssec.wisc.edu

Post by stevew@ssec.wisc.edu »

barryr wrote:Hi Steve and Joleen,

A couple McV programmers completed some work on this yesterday. Using today's nightly release we did some quick testing and it appears that the V3-30 CAL_LID_L2_01kmCLay and CAL_LID_L2_333mCLay files from PEATE now work correctly (in addition to the L1 files that already worked). They hope to address some of the other L2 formats from PEATE in the future (possibly next week).

You're welcome to try out the nightly, keeping in mind that it's a beta version so is not fully tested and supported. If you need information on how to access the nightly please let us know.

Thanks,
Barry

I am using McIDAS-V 1.5. I've tried to load the V3-30 1km CLAY files from August of this year. The data seems to load, and I'm presented with the ProfileAlongTrack field selector. It doesn't seem to matter which variable I choose. None of them display.

Do I need to be in a more updated version?

Thanks,
steve
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Steve -

You will need McIDAS-V 1.6 to display this *L2_01kmClay-ValStage1-V3-30* data. It looks like the display of this data is somewhat limited in 1.6 to where there is no 3D component of the data in the display, but you can get information about the data in the Layer Controls tab of the Data Explorer. For example, here's a display of the "Layer_Top_Altitude" field overlaid with GOES East CONUS 10.7um Temperatures from the time:
Main Display window
Main Display window

... and here's a display from the Layer Controls:
Layer Controls tab
Layer Controls tab

The green selector line in the Layer Controls is showing the "layer top altitude" at the location of the white crosshairs in the image of the Main Display window. In the Layer Controls, you can see a numerical value written up above the selector line that tells you the "layer top altitude" value. You can make similar displays of the other three fields included with the data: "DEM_Surface_Elevation", "Track2D", and "Track3D".

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp