VIIRS Imagery

How do I...?
joleenf

VIIRS Imagery

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust for the blindfold pattern on the edge of VIIRS imagery using any of the functions in McIDAS-V other than selecting a smaller region?

viirs.jpg

Joleen
Rick

Re: VIIRS Imagery

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

What is your data source - granules or ADDE dataset?

Rick
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Granules

Joleen
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

There is a jar file for VIIRS data (attached) that includes a formula called swathToGrid. Download the jar file, install the plugin and restart McIDAS-V. Open the 'Under Development' chooser tree and select Suomi-NPP. Once you have added your granules you can use swathToGrid formula.

Rick

Administrator Note:
    We removed the "viirs.jar" file that was originally attached to this post because McIDAS-V 1.3 and later includes that same software in the VIIRS Formulas plugin that's packaged with every version of McIDAS-V. It is better to use the VIIRS Formulas plugin (rather than the viirs.jar file that was previously available here) because that ensures that you are using the current version.

To remove the viirs.jar plugin and install the one that is packaged in McIDAS-V, go to the Plugin Manager (Tools > Plugins > Manage...) and find the viirs.jar one in the "Installed Plugins" section and then click the Delete Plugin icon. (You can also remove the viirs.jar file from your computer if you want.) Then install the packaged one by expanding the Miscellaneous tree and locating the VIIRS Formulas one and clicking its Install Plugin button, and then restart McIDAS-V.

For additional information about the plugin, see the 21 June 2013 post at:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=808&start=10
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

Is this viirs.jar supposed to work with the latest version of McIDAS-V? See attached graphics, the graphic with the actual data in the middle is the original VIIRS swath. In the other graphic, you will see a grey line at the bottom of the wireframe box. This is the result of putting my VIIRS data through the swathToGrid plugin/formula with a res of 375 and mode of 1.0. I've tried different res factors but none seem to make a difference. What should I be doing differently?

Kris
Attachments
picture 2013-08-19 at 12.50.23 PM.png
picture 2013-08-19 at 12.50.48 PM.png
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Kris,
Bob and I downloaded a SVM03 file from NOAA CLASS that matches the time stamp in your image. Using today's nightly we were able to use the swathToGrid formula successfully with the reflectance field. However, with radiance the bowtie deletion effect wasn't removed but the granule displayed correctly otherwise. We've contacted the programmer about these problems.

The examples below first show reflectance and then radiance; the region we selected when using the formula included the bowtie region.
reflectance.jpg

radiance.jpg

We were not able to replicate your results (a grey line at the bottom of the wireframe box). So you can please post your file at
ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming so we can try it here. Also, can you let us know where you obtained your data and which version of McV you're running?

Thanks,
Barry
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I obtained my data from NOAA CLASS, you can find my file at the following site. I am using the 375 m SVI data, not SVM. Could this be the problem?

pub/incoming/GIMGO-SVI01-SVI02-SVI03-SVI04-SVI05_npp_d20130417_t1754135_e1759539_b07624_c20130819133806907218_noaa_ops.h5
barryr

Post by barryr »

Kris,
Thank you for posting your file. Bob and I downloaded it and tested several radiance and reflectance fields (e.g., VIIRS-I3-SDR_All/Radiance and VIIRS-I2-SDR_All/Reflectance) and they worked for us both using either yesterday's or today's nightly on Windows 7 and OS X machines.

My trials were using the VIIRS Formulas plugin that's packaged in McV (in the Plugin Manager's Miscellaneous tree), while Bob tried that and also the viirs.jar plugin that was attached to the 30 Oct 2012 post of this forum. In all cases, things worked for us (we never were able to replicate your results of it displaying a grey line at the bottom of the wireframe box). To load the data, we used the Under Development > Imagery - Suomi NPP chooser, and the Formulas > swathToGrid in the Field Selector.

Can you try the whole process again using the same procedures as us (above) using a recent nightly version of McV? Also please make sure you try a variety of regions in your data selections as well as several different fields (like I said above, a couple that worked for us were VIIRS-I3-SDR_All/Radiance and VIIRS-I2-SDR_All/Reflectance).

If that doesn't work any better, please let us know what platform you're on, which version of McV you're running, and whether it has worked for you using other granules of data so we know whether it's just this one that's causing problems.

Thanks,
Barry
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I downloaded last night's nightly and installed it. It still did not work. Here is what I did:

1) Load the VIIRS file using "Under Development -> Imagery - Suomi NPP"
2) Formulas -> swathToGrid, res=800, mode=1 (the defaults)
3) see attached screenshot, I selected VIIRS-I5 Brightness Temperature and then drew a subsetting box around almost the entire region with valid VIIRS data.
4) the resulting display (see attached) is still a narrow white box that extends outside of the right side of the Wireframe box.

I got a similarly bad result with VIIRS-I2-SDR_All/Reflectance

I am using OSX 10.7.5 if that makes a difference. Could I possibly have not installed the plugin correctly? Any other debug ideas?
Attachments
picture 2013-08-22 at 12.19.00 PM.png
picture 2013-08-22 at 12.17.35 PM.png
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Kris,
Even though we believe the viirs.jar file that you downloaded from the 30 Oct 2012 post above and the VIIRS Formulas plugin that's now packaged with McV are the same, we think you should remove the viirs.jar plugin and install the VIIRS Formulas plugin as instructed in the Administrator Note in the 30 Oct 2012 post above. That way we'll know you're using the same software.

Once you do that (and restart McV), please try some smaller regions with swathToGrid. I did that (several smaller regions) with various fields/bands using today's nightly and they all worked fine. Like you, I used the defaults of res=800.0, mode=1.0.

I was told that one thing that could be an issue is that sometimes there seems to be problems displaying VIIRS data if you select data right up to the edge/limb. That said, I did several tests where my data selection was as close as I could get it to the limb (including all four corners) and yet they still worked fine for me. Still, the "too close to limb" issue might be something to keep in mind...

Here are screenshots of my VIIRS-I5 Brightness Temperature (same as in the screenshots in your post above) data selection and swathToGrid display.
swathtogrid_i5_brit_select.jpg
swathtogrid_i5_brit_display.jpg