Local server won't run

How do I...?
Rammasun

Local server won't run

Post by Rammasun »

Hello,

I have run into an issue trying to use McIDAS-V on an administrator account. Whenever I create a local server, it wont connect. It just says "Connecting to server: localhost:8112, Connection reset." When I go to run the servers after stopping them, it says it can't write to the userpath. This works on my other account, so why wouldn't it work on the administrator account?

Thanks,
Rammasun
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-22 053831.png
Screenshot 2024-05-22 053800.png
bobc

Re: Local server won't run

Post by bobc »

Hello,

There can be a variety of reasons that local servers don't work. In the majority of the cases there is some type of permissions or firewall issue. To see some things we generally ask users to try, see this forum post. We do typically recommend that users install McIDAS-V as their own user into their user account. There have been problems in the past related to having an administrator install McIDAS-V.

One quick thing to try would be to select "Tools > Manage ADDE Datasets" from the Main Display window to bring up the ADDE Data Manager. From the ADDE Data Manager, select "Local Servers > Start Local Servers". At start-up, McIDAS-V tries using port 8112 for local servers. Attempting to start them from the ADDE Data Manager will use port 8113. There have been times that this process has helped users in the past.

Please let me know if you are still having trouble with local servers after running through the steps outlined in the linked forum post or if local servers still don't work when attempting to restart them from the ADDE Data Manager.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
Rammasun

Post by Rammasun »

Hello,

I've tried your suggestion, but still, nothing happened. The forum linked was using Linux, which I do not have. I use 64-bit Windows and only switched to the admin account after windows allowed me to put a space in my user directory, which messes up a bunch of installations. I'm wondering if there's a directory that McIDAS can't reach due to admin permissions. Is this correct, and if so, what do I need to fix?

Thanks in advance,
Rammasun
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

The two directories that McIDAS-V needs to access are:
  1. McIDAS-V-System - This is the directory where McIDAS-V was installed (e.g. C:/Users/Admin/McIDAS-V-System) and contains all of the code. We suggest installing this in the user's directory, not a shared directory like Program Files.
  2. McIDAS-V - This is the directory that contains things like settings, preferences, color tables, formulas, etc. This should be in your Users account (e.g. C:/Users/admin/McIDAS-V).
You can verify that these directories have full permissions.

Thanks,
Bob
Rammasun

Post by Rammasun »

Hello,

The McIDAS directories had full permission, but still nothing worked. I'm not too sure what else to do.. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Rammasun
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-22 171426.png
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

When you have McIDAS-V running, go to Edit>Preferences in the Main Display window. From the Advanced tab of the User Preferences window, change the Log Level to "TRACE" and click OK. Exit and restart McIDAS-V. You will likely still see the error, but the logging to mcidasv.log may be useful. This mcidasv.log file will be in your C:/Users/admin/McIDAS-V directory. Could you please send this file as an attachment? If the forum complains about the file extension you can change the name to "mcidasv.txt" and attach it that way.

Thanks,
Bob
Rammasun

Post by Rammasun »

Hello,

I did the usual local server thing, and the error was logged. I've attached it so you can check out the issues.

Thanks,
Rammasun
Attachments
mcidasv.txt
(173 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

Thanks for the log file. From a quick look I see:

PATH=C:\Users\Alex Brown\McIDAS-V-System\adde\bin
MCPATH=C:\Users\Administrator\McIDAS-V

It looks like the install you are using was done in C:/Users/Alex Brown, while you're running McIDAS-V from the Administrator account. Trying to do things across two different accounts can lead to problems. If you want to run McIDAS-V as user Administrator I would suggest running the install as Adminstrator.

An easy way to verify you are using the correct install would be to open a Command Prompt window (as user Administrator) and run:

Code: Select all

cd \Users\administrator\McIDAS-V-System
runMcV.bat
Please give this a try and let me know if things work any better.

Thanks again,
Bob
Rammasun

Post by Rammasun »

Hello again,

After running McIDAS from the terminal, nothing changed, but I didn't see any mentions of my other account in the log. As I'm typing this, I tried to run the local servers on 8113. The servers actually started up, but the same issue occurred when trying to connect it in the data explorer. I've sent the log, but I don't even know if there's a way to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Rammasun
Attachments
mcidasv.txt
(178.24 KiB) Downloaded 5 times