Add server to MCIDAS-V

How do I...?
yeye

Add server to MCIDAS-V

Post by yeye »

Hi~
I want to use FY satellite data in MCIDAS-ADT. And I see FY dataset is in "satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov" server. But I can't add it to MCIDAS.Can you give me some suggestion? In other words, what can I do if I want to use FY data in MCI-ADT?
Thanks,
bobc

Re: Add server to MCIDAS-V

Post by bobc »

Hello,

The satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov server is hosted by NOAA's ESPC and it appears to be down at the moment. I'm unable to connect to PUB. I sent an email to ESPC operations to ask for a status update on the server/dataset. In the past, this PUB dataset has contained FY2 data, though I'll need to wait until it is up and running again to see if FY data are still available there. I'll let you know when I hear back from ESPC.

I'm not aware of any other freely available source of FY data. Our Satellite Data Services (SDS) group has realtime and archive datasets that can be accessed in McIDAS-V. I verified that the ADT display works with FY2G data. If you are interested in obtaining access to this date, you can use this Contact Information page for SDS to contact them.

I see you also sent a couple emails to the McIDAS Help Desk. I'll address your questions here to keep things organized:

1. How to use ADT with FY4A data? I checked with our SDS group and we don't currently ingest this data so I can't test it. As I mentioned earlier, the ADT controls do work with FY2G data.

2. "No images satisfy the selection criteria" error with a local dataset. What format is your data in and what local server are you using? We do not have local servers for FY data.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
yeye

Post by yeye »

Hi~
Very thanks for your suggestion, And I want to know what kind of data format meets the requirements of MCI-ADT?,So that I choose local data source.
Thanks,
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

You can find a list of local dataset formats supported on the Data Formats and Sources page of the User's Guide. In the table under Supported Data Types and Formats, look for the Satellite Imagery data type. This lists all of the different local ADDE servers that can be used to create datasets in McIDAS-V, which are noted by "local ADDE" in the Access Method column of the table. Note that some of the local servers with the asterisk next to them (Himawari, ABI, INSAT) are not yet supported on Windows. Remote datasets of all of these formats are supported on all platforms.

If you need assistance setting up a local dataset, I'd suggest reviewing the Local ADDE Data Manager page of the User's Guide.

I ran through several realtime and archive formats this morning and the ADT display worked with all of them. This includes:
  • GOES-16
  • GOES-17
  • HIMAWARI-8
  • INSAT-3D
  • COMS
  • MTSAT
  • KALPANA
  • Meteosat-8
  • Meteosat-11
  • FY2G
Here are the steps I ran to utilize the ADT display:
  1. Add the data source through the Satellite>Imagery chooser
  2. Select a band/calibration in the Field Selector
  3. Choose the Image Display display type and click Create Display
  4. Back in the Field Selector, select the Advanced Dvorak Technique (Under Development) display type and click Create Display
  5. Move the probe to where you want it in the Main Display with left-click+drag and click the Run ADT Analysis button at the bottom of the Layer Controls of the ADT layer.
Note that this ADT display type is still under development. While there is no documentation for it yet in the User's Guide, there is a Help button in the Layer Controls of the ADT layer which describes the various controls.

Thanks,
Bob
yeye

Post by yeye »

Hi~,
Thank you for your help! That's useful, and could you tell me what is the format of FY2G if I want to create a local file ,in ADDE guide ,I can't find corresponding format. The two thing is could you show me a FY2G data that you test as a example to learn?
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hello-

Sorry for the delay in response. The FY2G data in McIDAS-V is handled in McIDAS AREA format. You would need the FY2G data in that format and then follow those instructions to setup the Local Dataset.

Thanks,
Jay Heinzelman
McIDAS User Services
Igbinoba

Post by Igbinoba »

bobc wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm Hello,

You can find a list of local dataset formats supported on the Data Formats and Sources page of the User's Guide. In the table under Supported Data Types and Formats, look for the Satellite Imagery data type. This lists all of the different local ADDE servers that can be used to create datasets in McIDAS-V, which are noted by "local ADDE" in the Access Method column of the table. Note that some of the local servers with the asterisk next to them (Himawari, ABI, INSAT) are not yet supported on Windows. Remote datasets of all of these formats are supported on all platforms.

If you need assistance setting up a local dataset, I'd suggest reviewing the Local ADDE Data Manager page of the User's Guide.

I ran through several realtime and archive formats this morning and the ADT display worked with all of them. This includes:
  • GOES-16
  • GOES-17
  • HIMAWARI-8
  • INSAT-3D
  • COMS
  • MTSAT
  • KALPANA
  • Meteosat-8
  • Meteosat-11
  • FY2G
Here are the steps I ran to utilize the ADT display:
  1. Add the data source through the Satellite>Imagery chooser
  2. Select a band/calibration in the Field Selector
  3. Choose the Image Display display type and click Create Display
  4. Back in the Field Selector, select the Advanced Dvorak Technique (Under Development) display type and click Create Display
  5. Move the probe to where you want it in the Main Display with left-click+drag and click the Run ADT Analysis button at the bottom of the Layer Controls of the ADT layer.
Note that this ADT display type is still under development. While there is no documentation for it yet in the User's Guide, there is a Help button in the Layer Controls of the ADT layer which describes the various controls.

Thanks,
Bob
Where did you get each dataset mentioned?
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

When I created this list earlier I was likely using data servers from our Satellite Data Services (SDS) group in our building. These servers/datasets do require accounting information, which must be obtained from SDS. If you are interested in pursuing this option, there is a "Contact Us" link at the top of their webpage I linked to.

Outside of SDS, there are other methods of obtaining data for several of the the different satellites/instruments listed below.

You can get realtime GOES 16/17 ABI data from several Unidata servers which can be accessed through the Satellite>Imagery chooser. For example, you could use adde.ucar.edu/RTGOESR for GOES-16 data and adde.ucar.edu/RTGOESS for GOES-17 data. If you are looking for archived data, that can be downloaded from NOAA CLASS. You will need to create an account through CLASS.

For Himawari data, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a resource I've used to download data. If you are on a Linux or macOS machine, you can create a local dataset pointing to the data.

For Meteosat (MSG) data, I've used the EUMETSAT EO Portal to download data. You need to register and create an account through Eumetsat. The process of ordering the data, including the format to select, is described on the Local ADDE Data Manager page of the User's Guide under "MSG HRIT FD and HRV".

Please let me know if you need any assistance using the resources I mentioned to download data. They're all a bit different and sometimes they aren't entirely straightforward to use.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
Igbinoba

Post by Igbinoba »

Oh ok, thank you