Grid Skew-T

How do I...?
rriosalido

Grid Skew-T

Post by rriosalido »

Hi:
When I try to generate a Skew-T diagram from GFS model outputs, when I select the levels (from 1000 to 100 hPa) I get the following error message:

ERROR:
Creating display: Grid Skew-T
Attempt to convert unit "Pa" to unit "m"

If I select 2,80 and 100 m I get
ERROR:
Creating display: Grid Skew-T
Attempt to convert unit "m" to unit "Pa"

If I use "all levels", it only loads me the data at 2, 80 and 100 meters.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
bobc

Re: Grid Skew-T

Post by bobc »

Hello,

This is actually an issue that has been fixed in the McIDAS-V 1.9beta1 nightly build, which you can download here. The login and password for the page are both: mcv

Please note that the nightly builds include any code changes from the previous day, and therefore not everything has been fully tested. I believe the nightly builds are relatively stable right now, so I doubt you will come across anything unexpected. However, please let me know if you give the nightly build a try and run into any problems.

Using 1.9beta1, after adding your GFS data source, expand 3D>Temperature>Derived (just as you would in core 1.8) and you'll see there are now 3 "Sounding Data (with true winds)" fields listed. The top one creates a sounding from all of the variables with vertical units of Pa/hPa. You should be able to go to the Levels tab and select "All Levels" or manually select the range you are interested in.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

Thank you very much Bob, but I would prefer to wait for a stable version, do you know when V 1.9 will be released?

By the way, the method works correctly with GFS analysis.

Regards
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

While we are actively working on the 1.9 release, I don't yet have an estimate on when it will be released.

However, I noticed that I actually can create GFS global 1 degree soundings in the core 1.8 build. See this image:
Field Selector
Field Selector
There are two "Sounding Data (with true winds)" fields listed. The top one that I have selected in the image lists only units of "Pa" in the Levels tab. I was able to create a sounding using "All levels" as well as a manually selected range.

It was easier to notice that this worked in the 1.9 beta1 build because all of the variables in the Field Selector are listed in alphabetical order. Something to look forward to when 1.9 is released.

Please let me know if you are still seeing problems after trying both of the "Sounding Data (with true winds)" derived fields. It might be useful to know exactly what data source you are using. I'm testing with the default catalog under the Gridded Data > Remote chooser (https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/threddsRTModels.xml) and selecting Realtime > NCEP > GFS > One Degree > Forecast > Latest Collection.

Thanks,
Bob
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

Hi Bob:

You are right, I didn't realize there were two "Sounding (with true winds)". I was using the second one, the first one works. I tried with GFS 1, 0.5 y 0.25 degrees and the first one works fine, it is the second one that does not work with any of them.
Thank you very much

Ricardo