NPP Chooser

New McIDAS-V features under development. Feedback is appreciated.
bobc

NPP Chooser

Post by bobc »

The NPP data chooser can be found in the Under Development list in the Data Sources tab of the Data Explorer window. The NPP chooser allows you to display NPP (NPOESS Preparatory Project) satellite data. If you have sample NPP data and are interested in using the NPP chooser, you must run the McIDAS-V version 1.01 package with build date 2011-04-16. To check the build date, see the Help -> About McIDAS-V menu. The NPP chooser will not work with older versions of McIDAS-V.

To display NPP data, open the NPP chooser, and select either one time to display one granule, or multiple times to display multiple granules to be aggregated together to produce a larger image. Select multiple granules with Ctrl+click. Once the chosen times are specified, click the Add Source button. After the data source is added, the Field Selector tab will open. If the key icon is shown in the Fields panel, open the tree and select the type of data to display. In the Displays panel, select the Display type for how to display the data (Image Display is the default). The Region tab shows the data to be loaded. When available, the Channels tab allows the user to select the wavenumber to be displayed. Click and drag the green line to select the wavenumber. Click the Create Display button to display the image in the Main Display Window.

Along the outer edges of the displayed data, black bands may appear due to the removal of duplicate data produced by the "bowtie deletion effect". Progress is being made in the effort to eliminate these black bands by filling them with the appropriate data. Multispectral displays may be used in different circumstances, enabling the user to have a hands-on approach to interact more with the data. This allows the data to be displayed and analyzed in a manner similar to the Satellite > HYDRA chooser.

At present, simulated NPP proxy data is available from NOAA. The current launch date for the NPP is 25 October 2011. The NPP mission is designed to support monitoring of climate variations and global biological productivity. More information on the NPP, including descriptions and uses of the various onboard sensors, can be found at: http://jointmission.gsfc.nasa.gov/.

Note: You need to have two files to display each granule (a data file and a geolocation file), beginning with the following for each type of NPP data:

ATMS (Advanced Technology Microwave Sounder): SATMS and GATMO

CrIS (Cross-track Infrared Sounder): SCRIS and GCRSO

VIIRS (Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite) includes SVI and SVM:
SVI: SVI and GIMGO
SVM: SVM and GMODO

The geolocation and data files have very similar names (the numbers after 'd', 't', 'e', and 'b' are identical, but the numbers following 'c' are different). For example, in the same folder you would need the following files to display an ATMSS NPP granule:

SATMS_npp_d20100906_t1935191_e1935505_b00012_c20110707155932067006_noaa_ops.h5
GATMO_npp_d20100906_t1935191_e1935505_b00012_c20110707155932065809_noaa_ops.h5

If both of these files are not in the same folder, then no files will be listed in the Data Explorer. If they are both in the same folder, then the SATMS file will be listed, and you can select the file and go on to display the data. The SATMS file is the data file, and the GATMO file is the geolocation file.
Last edited by bobc on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
changyong.cao@noaa.gov

Re: NPP Chooser

Post by changyong.cao@noaa.gov »

Thanks, but I just tried (Under Development->Imagery-NPP->NPP data source) and the VIIRS files won't show up even I have both SVM02_npp_xxx and GMODO_npp_xxx in the same directory. I am using McIDAS-V 1.01 build 2011-04-16 on windows 7. -C.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Changyong,

Are you getting an error?
Please attach your two files and we will give it a try here. If they are too big or have other problems uploading them as an attachment, you can post the files to our ftp location
ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
user anonymous
password e-mail address
cd pub
cd incoming
bin
put {files}

Also, please attach the file mcidasv.log. That should be found in your McIDAS-V directory.

Rick
mrsmith

Re: NPP Chooser / VIIRS

Post by mrsmith »

Some clarification; for the VIIRS info in the first post - I don't believe SVI stands for "Spectral Vegetation Indices"; nor does SVM stand for "Service Module". Someone more knowledgeable about VIIRS should help me out here with what the "SV" represents, but the "I" represents the "Imaging" resolution channels (~0.38 km), while the "M" represents the "Moderate" resolution channels (~0.76 km).

On the peate ftp server, could someone provide a list of all of the directories within each daily directory? There must be 10 or more - other than the basic I and M channels. I've found only very sparse info about any of them.
Here's a partial list:
GCLDO, GDNBO, GITCO, GMTCO, IICMO, IVAOT, IVCLT, IVCOP, IVCTP, RNSCA, RVIRS, RVIRT
tommy.jasmin

Post by tommy.jasmin »

Hi mrsmith -

A complete list of all data products can be found in the Common Data Format Control Book, Volume 1, Appendix A. The list is very long, but all the info is there in one place:

http://jointmission.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/documents.html

Once you get your feet wet, the short names start to make some sense. For example, anything that starts with a "G" (e.g. GIMGO) is a geolocation file. VCTHO is "VIIRS Cloud Top Height EDR, Official", etc.
mrsmith

Post by mrsmith »

Thanks!
OK, I've retrieved GMTCO and SVM01 files (from ftp://peate.ssec.wisc.edu/allData/inges ... 342/(GMTCO & SVM01) to my Windows7 system.
When I try to tell the McIDAS-V NPP chooser where to find the two files, ("Under Development / Imagery - NPP") - - - it is not seeing them:
GMTCO_npp_d20111208_t2057377_e2059018_b00588_c20111209201927095661_noaa_ops.h5 [ ~54 MB ]
SVM01_npp_d20111208_t2057377_e2059018_b00588_c20111209200018300219_noaa_ops.h5 [ ~7 MB ]

Do I need to manually change the file extensions to something else? or is there a special location where they MUST reside?
tommy.jasmin

Post by tommy.jasmin »

mrsmith -

I believe what you are doing is correct. Download both files, and place both in a directory on your disk (location is arbitrary, I placed them in Data -> VIIRS -> SVM). Then when you navigate to that directory using the NPP Chooser, you should be able to display something like the image I have attached. Select the SVM01 file and click "Add Source".

The two files I downloaded are:

GMTCO_npp_d20111208_t2057377_e2059018_b00588_c20111209035950867558_noaa_ops.h5
SVM01_npp_d20111208_t2057377_e2059018_b00588_c20111209200018300219_noaa_ops.h5

I noticed there were two geolocation files for this granule time, one ~54 MB as you mentioned, and another ~79 MB. I'm not sure why there are two, this bothers me a little, but I tested both and was able to create an image with either one.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-12-09 at 3.32.23 PM.png
mrsmith

Post by mrsmith »

Are you using Windows7, Linux, or something else? I'm using Windows7. Is there possibly a McIDAS-V setting that sets what file types to look for? I go to the directory where the *.h5 files are located, but only directories/folders show up -- no files. Note that I have only looked at Wisconsin server data so far - nothing local ever with McIDAS-V.
tommy.jasmin

Post by tommy.jasmin »

mrsmith -

I am running on a MacBook Pro. I will speak to a MUG team member and make sure this granule loads on a Windows machine. It should not make any difference, but we will check. If you start with the Under Development NPP Chooser, and navigate to the directory where you stored the data, the Chooser should highlight for selection any valid data (in this case, just the single SVM01 file).
bobc

Post by bobc »

Tommy and mrsmith -

I tested this out on my Windows7 64-bit machine and I was able to load in the SVM file without error. I placed both the GMTCO and SVM01 files in my home/Desktop/SVM directory. The SVM file listed in the Data Sources tab of the Data Explorer, and I was able to go on and display the data.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services