Global ATMS

New McIDAS-V features under development. Feedback is appreciated.
danpisut

Global ATMS

Post by danpisut »

I been trying to load in a full 24hrs of ATMS data (SATMS and GATMO from PEATE 2012/142). Data ingests fine, but in the Data Explorer>Field Selector>Region display I cannot choose the area to load into the main display panel, nor can I just "create display" for either Image Display or Multispectral Display. Is it just too much data? I also get the odd 3D spherical projection (image attached), which cannot be rotated or manipulated to show the full global data.
ATMS.jpg

System:
Win7 64bit
24gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 6000
(Tim Taylor grunt)
Rick

Re: Global ATMS

Post by Rick »

Hi Dan,

I was able to reproduce the error. Programmer believes there was an error introduced with McIDAS-V version 1.2. I wrote up an inquiry:
http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1283

I was able to select all the files and display the whole days worth of data.

Rick
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

Hi Dan,

Is it just too much data? I also get the odd 3D spherical projection (image attached), which cannot be rotated or manipulated to show the full global data.

Yes, it's just too much data. This interface is currently designed for ~40 min or less of orbit time. The
'odd 3D spherical projection' is really a map projection with global extent! I'll be experimenting with
ways to handle this, we may start with what we already have for the 1 orbit Calipso/CloudSat data:
User can geographically select part of the orbit they want to display. We'll also be exposing, at some point,
the DataSource classes in the scripting framework. Is it your intent to create a global display? If so,
I will try to cook up a plug-in which could help - might be sometime next week with the holiday coming up.
In the meantime, can you make a little headway, constraining the swath time extent?

So this is really needed feature enhancement, not a bug introduced with 1.2.

Tom
Rick

Post by Rick »

You are able to view all the files for a day. A problem does exist if you try to reload the data - error sent, Selected images not found). You can restart McIDAS-V as a work around.
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

The graphical selector may not work properly/consistently, and swath overlap can
create artifacts on the globe display.