Adding a Map

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

Adding a Map

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have been shown how to add a map from a shape file or url using "Add Your Own Map" in the layer controls of the background maps.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 10.58.28 AM.png

I also see that there are many nice maps available as plugins. The only problem is that every time I restart McIDAS-V, I need to use "Edit->Add System Map" every time to see those possible layers again. Is there a way to make these maps persist in the layer controls for the default background maps? If not, could there be an inquiry to address this?

Thanks,
Joleen
hproe

Re: Adding a Map

Post by hproe »

Hi Joleen -

I am using bundles to call up alternative shp maps. But to male them persist would even e nicer.

HP
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Joleen,
Once you've used Edit > Add Your Own Map... to add the maps you want to the Layer Controls, the File > Default Maps > Save as the Default Map Set option can be used to save all of the maps and their On/Off checkbox settings so that they are the default in future sessions.

Does that do what you're looking for?

Thanks,
Barry
Attachments
default_map_set.jpg
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Barry,

Thanks, yes, this is what I was looking for.

There are a few steps to this process, but the result is quite useful. It would help for someone to write a tips and tricks with the sequence - and then perhaps echo that tip and trick or link to the tip within the help documents. Currently, it is not a process that is documented in a coherent way within the help pages.

Thanks,
Joleen
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Joleen,
Just a belated note that I did add a post in the Tips and Tricks forum (here) detailing the procedures. Thanks for the suggestion!

Barry