creating local ADDE server

How do I...?
Justinas

creating local ADDE server

Post by Justinas »

Hi,

I am begginer at McIDAS-V. I have created local ADDE datasets on my machine (Windows 7) for METOP AVHRR level 1B data. But when I try to connect from data explorer, I always get message "Dataset may require ADDE accounting information". For testing purposes, I created another local ADDE dataset using data from McIDAS tutorial ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/mug/mcidas- ... area_dust/, but again then connecting I get the same error message. Maybe somebody has a clue what goes wrong and what could be the solution?
jayh

Re: creating local ADDE server

Post by jayh »

Hello Justinas-

My first guess would be a problem when setting up the local dataset. In the ADDE Data Manager, the lower right "Restart Me" button is only for when the local data server is not running. We have had some bugs with the status message and that button. In my testing here, if my local server is running and I hit that button, when I go back to access any local-data dataset, I get the accounting error you saw.

I would start with a new session, and see if you can load the dataset. If you are still getting the error message, open your Windows Task Manager and make sure only one "mcservl" process is running.

One thing to note with the METOP data, the files can be large if it's a full pass. It would take over an hour to display at times and it seemed like the session was hanging. I had much better luck displaying the data when I subsetted it over a smaller region with the Advanced tab in the Field Selector.

Hopefully this solves your problem. If not, let us know. You could use the support request form in the Help menu of the Image Display. This would give us the status of your machine and the machine information. Also, if needed you could ftp your file and we could try it here.

Thanks, Jay
McIDAS User Services
Justinas

Post by Justinas »

Hi Jay,

I tried several times to kill McIDAS and start a new session. But always when I start again, in Windows Task Manager I see two "mcservl" process is running. Ending one of the "mcservl" process does not change the situation - I still get the error "Dataset may require ADDE accounting information".

I do not think this is a problem with METOP data, because I have created local ADDE server for MODIS data from McIDAS tutorials and problem persists. But maybe there are some other rules for creating local ADDE server? (For example: data location on machine, additional files with attribute information?).

P.S. I send support request form Help menu, thank you for the hint.

Justinas
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Justinas and Jay -

Allow me to chime in. Just two things:

1. I always see two instances of mcservl.exe on my W7 machine.

2. Where are the Metop AVHRR data from? I retrieve them from NOAA's CLASS archive (data formats from the EUMETSAT archive are not compatible with the local ADDE server for Metop AVHRR).

HP
Justinas

Post by Justinas »

Thank you HP, for your comments.
Yes, I tried to open Metop data with native format from EUMETCAST system. This could be the issue. But again, is there any possibility to open Metop AVHRR data with native EUMETCAST format in McIDAS-V?

Moreover, I made the local ADDE server using MODIS data from McIDAS tutorials (ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/mug/mcidas- ... 1km_files/). And still I get the same error then trying to open ADDE dataset from data explorer. So my feeling is that there is another issue as well (not only with Metop data).

Justinas
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Justinas-

Sorry for the delay, but this is a difficult problem to diagnose. The accounting error is a somewhat generic error that the ADDE server gives for a variety of problems. We have had this problem in the past and our development staff is tasked with reworking the Data Manager to make it more robust. For now, I do have a few more suggestions from the programmers.

Side note... thank you HP for clarifying that there should be 2 mcservl processes running. I did not realize that myself. And HP is correct, at this time the EUMETCAST format is not readable in -V.

1. There have been reports of these type of issues when there is no internet connection. Please check to see if your internet is working fine. The forum posts are in these two forums:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=869 and
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=958

2. Next the programmer would like to diagnose if the mcservl process is running correctly. Please open a cmd prompt and cd to your McIDAS-V-System/adde/bin directory. I believe it would be /Users/Justinas/McIDAS-V-System/adde/bin by looking at your log file you sent to the help desk. Make sure you aren't running McIDAS-V and in this directory please run the command "mcservl" (without the quotes). You should see a couple of messages, the PATH statement and then the message, "Waiting for connections..." This is what mine looks like:

C:\Users\mcuser\McIDAS-V-System\adde\bin>mcservl

McIDAS interactive ADDE server

Remote connections blocked

PORT= 8112

PATH= /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/S
ystem32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/:/cygdrive/c/Wi
ndows/SUA/common/:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/lib/
MCPATH= (null)

Waiting for connections...

If you see any other types of messages, let me know what they are.

3. If you see errors mentioning cygwin errors, it's possible that you have conflicting cygwin1.dll files on your system with the one that McIDAS-V installs. To diagnose this, please go to to your Windows start menu and choose the "Computer" option from the Windows menu. In the top right corner of this window there should be a "Search Computer.." box to enter text. Enter "cygwin1.dll" to search your system for this file(s). You should only see the one in the McIDAS-V-System directory, however, if there are other in windows system type directories, that might be the cause of your problem. Some forum issues related to this are here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=338
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=318

4. Even though this is a local data file, it's possible that Windows is blocking the connection, either because of a built-in firewall or some third-party security software. The built-in firewall should not prevent this type of connection, but just to be safe you can check the software firewall status and turn it off if it is running, and then try again? Security software should log connection attempts, so if any is running I would take a look at the logs.

Thanks for your patience on this issue. Let us know what you find and hopefully we'll find a solution.

Thanks, Jay
Justinas

Post by Justinas »

Hi Jay,

I have tried all options, but I still did not come to solution:

1) My internet connection is stable, and it doesn't look that it would effect McIDAS-V.
2) PATH statement from cmd prompt (C:\Program Files (x86)\McIDAS-V-System\adde\bin>mcservl):

McIDAS interactive ADDE server
Remote connections blocked
PORT= 8112
PATH= /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/DMIX:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem/
MCPATH= (null)
Waiting for connections...

3) On my system I have cygwin1.dll file in the directory of GLIDER program as well. But I run GLIDER very rarely and it does not start with Windows 7, or I do not run it before McIDAS-V.

4) Turning of the firewall does not have any effect.

Could it be the issue with initial configuration of McIDAS-V (file location and etc.)?

Justinas
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Justinas-

We have another question and something more to try...

1. Do remote connections to display imagery work? You can try the adde.ucar.edu server and try the RTIMAGES dataset. We'd like to make sure that is working for you.

2. The cygwin1.dll file in your GLIDER directories may still cause interference with the McIDAS-V processes. We'd like you to retry these steps:
- Rename the GLIDER cygwin1.dll file to something different.
- Restart your windows machine.
- Try the local-data display in McIDAS-V again and see if the accounting error is gone.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks, Jay
Justinas

Post by Justinas »

1) Remote connections do not work as well. I can connect to the server and choose data (image type, time frame), but then I click "Add source", McIDAS either crashes or I get the error message:
Data load failed for edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.data.adde.AddeImageParameterDataSource

2) I uninstalled GLIDER from my system (I did not really used it). Now cygwin1.dll file is only in McIDAS system, but the problem persists.

3) I tryied to install McIDAS-V in another machine (Windows XP). And it works fine - I can connect to remote servers, I can access local ADDE data series. Maybe there is any compatibility issues with Windows 7?

Justinas
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Justinas-

Well I'm glad you were able to get -V running on your XP machine, but your problems on Windows 7 are still confusing to us.

We have some more things for you to try:

1. Can you display any type of data? You can try a local file through the General Files chooser, or try Gridded data and use the remote THREDDS server to display some field from a model run.

2. When you try the remote ADDE datasets, and you receive the "Data load failed for edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.data.adde.AddeImageParameterDataSource" error, can you submit a crash report to the help desk? Then we will have your mcidasv.log file for that error which I can show the programmer.

Thanks, Jay