aggregating CLASS GLM files

How do I...?
kbedka1

aggregating CLASS GLM files

Post by kbedka1 »

I have a bunch of 20-sec resolution NetCDF GOES-16 GLM lightning files that I want to display. I want to merge 5 mins of lightning data and overlay atop ABI. When I try to use the aggregate by time option, McIDAS-V gives me an error. I know there's the formula, make a time sequence out of single time files, but with 5 mins*20 sec data, the formula gets to be very clunky. Is there an easier way to accomplish my goal in McIDAS-V?
bobc

Re: aggregating CLASS GLM files

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris,

I'm working under the following assumptions:

1. You have the "Data Sources > GLM NetCDF Files" plugin installed.
  2. You loaded your data through the General>Files Directories chooser. With all of your files selected in the chooser, you used one of the GLM data types (e.g. GLM Groups Data files) and clicked Add Source. This aggregates all of the GLM data files into one data source

I ordered 15 consecutive 20-second GLM files (5 minutes of data) from CLASS and loaded them using the method above. In the Field Selector, I see a data source called "15 files". To display this data in 5-minute loops (same temporal resolution of GOES-16 CONUS data in the normal scan mode), you can do the following:

1. From the Field Selector, double-click on the "15 files" data source to bring up the Properties window.
  2. At the bottom of this Properties window, you'll see a Time Binning section. Set both Bin Size and Round To to "5 minutes". You can do this through the dropdown menu for each, or by clicking on the calendar icon and typing a value of 5 in the Minutes field.
  3. Click OK at the bottom of the Properties window.

At this point, you'll be able to choose the Point Data field, the Point Data Plot display type, your desired layout model (e.g. GLM>GROUP) and hit Create Display.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any other questions. You'll find a bit more information about the plugin in the GLM Plugin - 1.7 forum post.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk